The Curonian Spit is a peninsula that separates the Baltic Sea and the Curonian Lagoon in a slightly concave arc for 98 km from the Kaliningrad Peninsula (Russia) to the town of Klaipeda (Lithuania). It is an example of a landscape of sand dunes that is under constant threat from natural forces (wind and tide). Nida is the largest settlement on the Spit and the westernmost point of Lithuania.The first lighthouse in Nida was built on the Urbas Hill and first lit on October 24, 1874. At the end of World War II, German soldiers blew up the lighthouse. The current 29 m (95 ft) round concrete tower was rebuilt on the same hill (900 meters from the Baltic Sea) and relit in April 1953 (55°18′31″N 20°59′13″E). The lighthouse was painted with red and white horizontal stripes and its light has a range of 22 nautical miles (41Km).
Lithuania Post issued on July 27, 2013 two stamps from the series Technical Monuments featuring the Klaipėda (Klaipedos švyturys) and Ventė Cape (Ventès rago švyturys) Lighthouses. Both yellow stamps have the nominal value of LTL 2.45 and bring technical data about the lighthouses and their geographic coordinates.