Friday, 14 November 2014


Bornrif is the unofficial name of the lighthouse on the Dutch island Ameland, on the edge of the North Sea (53°26′57″N 5°37′32″E).  The 55 m (181 ft) round cast iron tower was built in 1880 by order of William III and painted with red and white horizontal bands. 
 The 2nd order Fresnel lens in use was used at Goedereede 1908-1912 and then at Westhoofd Lighthouse in Ouddorp from 1912 to 1940; it was installed at Ameland in 1952 and provides a flash with a range of 30 nautical miles (56 km). The lantern of this lighthouse was replaced in 1988. The original lantern is on display at the Reddingsmuseum in Hollum.
In 2004, ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the municipality of Ameland and opened for tourists one year later. It is possible to climb the staircase with 236 steps (14 floors) up to the lantern and double gallery.
The postcard brings two Dutch Christmas stamps issued on November 17, 2009. TNT Post released a set of 20 Christmas stamps in ten different designs and a face value of 0.34€ each stamp. The illustrations on the stamps depict gifts that also serve as windows through which you look into a house from outside. White dots representing falling snowflakes complete the design of these original stamps.

Sunday, 9 November 2014


Sugarloaf Point Light, also known as Seal Rocks Lighthouse, is located on a prominent cape (Sugarloaf Point), about 3 kilometers (1.9 mi) southeast of Seal Rocks, New South Wales, Australia (32° 26' 3"S 152° 32' 4"E). The light station was designed by James Barnett and first lit on December 1, 1875.
 The 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical brick tower has two stories divided by a concrete floor, the fuel store being located in the ground level. An outside bluestone stairway reaches this floor, followed by internal iron stairs. The original first order Fresnel lens provides a flash with a range of 25 nautical miles (46 km). In June 1966, the lighthouse was converted to electricity and automated in 1987.

Saturday, 8 November 2014


The Curonian Spit is a peninsula that separates the Baltic Sea and the Curonian Lagoon in a slightly concave arc for 98 km from the Kaliningrad Peninsula (Russia) to the town of Klaipeda (Lithuania). It is an example of a landscape of sand dunes that is under constant threat from natural forces (wind and tide). Nida is the largest settlement on the Spit and the westernmost point of Lithuania.
 The first lighthouse in Nida was built on the Urbas Hill and first lit on October 24, 1874. At the end of World War II, German soldiers blew up the lighthouse. The current 29 m (95 ft) round concrete tower was rebuilt on the same hill (900 meters from the Baltic Sea) and relit in April 1953 (55°18′31″N 20°59′13″E). The lighthouse was painted with red and white horizontal stripes and its light has a range of 22 nautical miles (41Km).
Lithuania Post issued on July 27, 2013 two stamps from the series Technical Monuments featuring the Klaipėda (Klaipedos švyturys) and Ventė Cape (Ventès rago švyturys) Lighthouses.  Both yellow stamps have the nominal value of LTL 2.45 and bring technical data about the lighthouses and their geographic coordinates.

Friday, 7 November 2014


New Jersey is home to very historic light stations, most of them restored and fully preserved. The Sandy Hook Lighthouse is the oldest standing light tower in the United States and remains in operation after more than 245 years. 
The U.S. Postal Service issued on May 5, 2014 a sheet of sixteen stamps depicting eight vintage circus posters. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, companies like Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey used evocative pieces of art to let people know the circus was coming to town. Large colorful posters were the perfect vehicle to showcase stunts, performers, and animals, and to give people a taste of what awaited them under the big top. 
Thank you, Lea