Saturday, 20 July 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM BERMUDA

The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse stands on the highest point of Bermuda in Southampton Parish, southwest of Hamilton (32° 15' N 64° 50' W). The 40.5 m (133 ft.) round white cast iron tower is the second oldest cast iron lighthouse in the Americas.
Bermuda limestone, which had been intended for the lighthouse base, was too soft to support the weight and size of the lantern purchased from England to light the tower. Instead, Alexander Gordon designed a cast iron base; 135 concentric cast iron plates in a base of 20 feet of concrete. The plates were fabricated and shipped to Bermuda where the lighthouse was pieced together and first lit on May 1, 1846.
The current optic consists of a 1st order Fresnel lens installed in 1904 and its light beam can be seen 40 miles out to sea. The lighthouse was electrified in 1952 and on June 4, 1964 new electrical equipment was installed and since then the entire operation works automatically. A radar antenna for marine shipping was installed atop the lighthouse in 1987. The optic lens system was damaged by Hurricane Fabian on September 5, 2003 and the tower went dark for three weeks. The Fresnel lens was taken out of service while four fixed halogen lights were temporary lit. After three months of repair, the original lens was replaced on May 2004. 
The Bermuda Post Office released on July 12, 2012 a set of six stamps named “Masterworks Museum of Bermuda Art: 25th anniversary”. The stamps depict paintings of international artists who came to paint Bermuda landscapes, its people and cultural heritage. This unique period started in the 1860s, when a number of American and British artists used their time in the winter months painting in the sub-tropical climate of Bermuda. Most painters were of the school of American impressionism including Thomas Anshutz, author of “South shore” the oil on board (1910) depicted on the stamp.

The permanent collection of the Masterworks Museum of Bermuda Art began with twelve paintings depicting Bermuda. Today, after 25 years the collection consists of over 1500 pieces of art covering all mediums including painting, photography, and sculpture, all drawing inspiration from the beauty of Bermuda. 

Friday, 19 July 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM GERMANY

Warnemünde (means Warnow mouth) is a sea resort and city situated on the Baltic Sea in the northeast of Germany at the estuary of the river Warnow. The city is a center of maritime traffic and this green tower is located on the west mole. The history of the mole lights of Warnemünde is quite complex; both moles (east and west) have been extended several times and there have been several lights on each mole. The current 12 m (40 ft.) round green metal tower was built in 1985 and relocated in 1998 onto a new arm of the west mole extended to the current length of 541m (590yd). There is a similar red lighthouse on the east mole and both are locally known as Die Zwillinge (the twins).
The traditional German Flower series presents two different and colorful species very popular as ornamental garden flowers. The 0.05 EUR stamp issued on August 11, 2005 is dedicated to the crocus genus (here: Crocus tommasinianus), a lilac flower in the Iridaceae family, often referred to as 'tommies', were named after the botanist Muzio Spirito de Tommasini. Crocus tommasinianus has small long-tubed flowers with 6 petals from pale silvery lilac to reddish purple, which appear in early spring. It is often planted in large drifts in gardens and parks.

The 0.70 EUR stamp issued on April 13, 2006 depicts Kartäusernelke (Dianthus carthusianorum) an herbaceous perennial plant commonly found wild in dry, grassy habitats. The Kartäusernelke is usually between 15 and 40 centimeters tall and flowers are 18–20 mm wide, dark pink to purple. Today it is widely used mainly as an ornamental plant and the flowering period extends from July to September.

Thursday, 18 July 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM FINLAND

This white brick tower is one of the oldest, best known, and most accessible lighthouses of northern Finland.  Marjaniemi Lighthouse is located in the village of Marjaniemi on a sharp point at the western tip of Hailuoto Island, on the Gulf of Bothnia (65°02.40′N, 24°33.68′E). The light station was designed by Axel Hampus Dahlström and it was first lit in 1872. The 25 m (82 ft.) round white masonry tower has a red lantern with a green dome and a 110 step staircase to the top.
Two keepers and a lighthouse master took care of the lighthouse until 1962, when it became automated. Now the buildings are owned by the municipality of Hailuoto. Old pilot houses have become a hotel and hostel. 
EUROPA stamp issue for the year 2013 is dedicated to postal vehicles. Finnish Postal Administration issued on May 6, 2013 a pair of self-adhesive stamps which illustrates a modern and an old Finnish postal truck. The1st class stamp (1 LK/KL) depicts an old Volvo LV-70-1933 mail car.

Sunday, 7 July 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NETHERLANDS

Hellevoetsluis is a small fortified city on Voorne-Putten Island in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The history of Hellevoetsluis is connected to the sea for a long time ago. Thanks to its strategic location the city grew from the beginning of the 17th century to be the homeport for the Dutch naval fleet.
Hellevoetsluis Lighthouse is located on the west side of the entrance to the commercial harbor, on the north side of the Haringvliet. The 18 m (59 ft) round cylindrical white tower was first lit on September 1st, 1822 and was partially rebuilt in 1901. More recently, it was restored in 1965 and the building was about to collapse in mid-2004 when it began a large restoration. The renovated lighthouse was reopened in 2005 and tourists can visit it every last Sunday of the month from May through August.
Netherlands issued on August 16, 2011 a set of twelve stamps presenting some of the fine green initiatives being undertaken by the Netherlands. The series named ‘Going Green’ shows positive mottos, tips and tricks to encourage citizens in “going green” in their lives. They include the following themes: new way of working, reducing energy consumption, using alternative energy sources, insulating homes, LED and energy-saving lighting, and organic food production.  The stamp on the postcard shows a tree with the inscription “Denk Groen voor een groene wereld” (“Think green for a green world”).