Sunday, 27 January 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NETHERLANDS

Vlieland is one of the West Frisian Islands lying in the Wadden Sea, in the northern Netherlands. The Vuurduin Lighthouse is located at the Vuurboetsduin (Beaconfire Dune), the highest elevation (42 meters) on the island (53°17′45″N 5°03′30″E).
In November 1836 a light station was established in Vlieland, but in 1909 it was decided that the tower had to be replaced by a larger one. The present lighthouse was constructed using the upper portion of the 1879 IJmuiden Front Lighthouse. The upper 16 meters of the mainland tower were unscrewed and moved to Vlieland, to be placed on a new foundation. Simultaneously with the tower were also the optics and lamp which were first lit on March 22, 1909.  The 17 m round red cast iron tower is attached to an observation tower built in 1929. The site is open daily and is accessible by ferry from Harlingen. Bus transportation is provided on Vlieland since visitors cannot bring vehicles to the island.
Netherlands issued on August 16, 2011 a set of twelve stamps presenting some of the fine green initiatives being undertaken by the Netherlands. The series named ‘Going Green’ shows positive mottos, tips and tricks to encourage citizens in “going green” in their lives. They include the following themes: new way of working, reducing energy consumption, using alternative energy sources, insulating homes, LED and energy-saving lighting, and organic food production.  The stamp on the postcard shows a light bulb and the phrase “Europa geeft groen licht” (“Europe Gives Green Light”).

Saturday, 26 January 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM JAPAN

Cape Ashizuri is the southernmost point of Shikoku island and is part of Ashizuri-Uwakai National Park. The cape is covered by subtropical plants and features gorgeous ocean views from stunning 80 m high granite cliffs. The Ashizuri Lighthouse is a round cylindrical concrete tower first lit on April 1st, 1914 (32° 43.0' N 133° 1.0' E). The 18m (59ft.) white lighthouse is peppered with bullet holes received from the U.S. navy toward the end of WWII. It is still active and the light reaches 20.5 nautical miles (about 38 km) far.
Japan issued on October 21, 1966 a commemorative stamp to mark the ninth International Anti-Cancer Congress which was held in Tokyo from October 23 to 29. The stamp depicts a cobalt treatment unit: accelerators and cobalt bombs are mounted on a rotating gantry assuring accurate localization of the beam to the tumor which is placed at the isocenter. 
The Japanese parliament came into existence on November 29, 1890 by Emperor Meiji. It was called the Great Imperial Diet (Dai Nihon Teikoku Gikai), and consisted of two houses - the House of Peers and the House of Representatives. The year 1990 marked the centenary of the Japanese Diet and the 62 ¥ stamp issued on Nov. 29, 1990 shows a stained glass of Central Hall of the Parliament building.