Hellevoetsluis is a small fortified city on Voorne-Putten Island in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The history of Hellevoetsluis is connected to the sea for a long time ago. Thanks to its strategic location the city grew from the beginning of the 17th century to be the homeport for the Dutch naval fleet.
Hellevoetsluis Lighthouse is located on the west side of the entrance to the commercial harbor, on the north side of the Haringvliet. The 18 m (59 ft) round cylindrical white tower was first lit on September 1st, 1822 and was partially rebuilt in 1901. More recently, it was restored in 1965 and the building was about to collapse in mid-2004 when it began a large restoration. The renovated lighthouse was reopened in 2005 and tourists can visit it every last Sunday of the month from May through August.
Netherlands issued on August 16, 2011 a set of twelve stamps presenting some of the fine green initiatives being undertaken by the Netherlands. The series named ‘Going Green’ shows positive mottos, tips and tricks to encourage citizens in “going green” in their lives. They include the following themes: new way of working, reducing energy consumption, using alternative energy sources, insulating homes, LED and energy-saving lighting, and organic food production. The stamp on the postcard shows a tree with the inscription “Denk Groen voor een groene wereld” (“Think green for a green world”).