Friday, 26 April 2013


The New Canal Lighthouse was built in 1838 and takes its name from a failed 1830s effort to link Lake Ponchartrain with downtown New Orleans by canal. The original lighthouse was rebuilt in 1855 and again during the 1890s always damaged by hurricanes.
A new tower was constructed in 1901: a 32 ft. (10 m) square 2-story frame keeper's quarters on pilings, surmounted by a square cylindrical tower. The building painted white with red roofs had a fifth-order Fresnel lens. Since that time some additions and renovations brought the lighthouse up to modern standards. It is located on Lake Pontchartrain at West End Boulevard and Lakeshore Drive in New Orleans (30°02′37″N 90°06′47″W).
The lighthouse was heavily damaged and virtually destroyed after suffering double hits in 2005 from Hurricane Katrina (August, 29) and Hurricane Rita (September, 22). By the fall of 2007, the wreckage of the building was dismantled and stored for use in rebuilding the structure.
In 2012, thanks to the efforts of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation, the lighthouse was rebuilt and relit on 26 September. The only significant difference between the previous structure and the new structure is that the new lighthouse is built higher up on stilts, to help protect it from future storm surges. For an overall cost of about $1 million, the iconic guardian of the New Orleans lakefront reopened on April 18, 2013 as the new home of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation.  It has been renamed the New Canal Lighthouse Museum and Education Center.
The U.S. Postal Service issued on December 1, 2012 the One Dollar Waves of Color stamp, one of four sheets of elegant stamps denominated at four different rates: $1, $2, $5, and $10. The One Dollar Waves of Color stamp shows variously colored undulating lines against a white background. A portion of the left side of the stamp provides white space to display the numeral 1. The stamp also includes its denomination written out as One Dollar.
The definitive stamp “American Clock” features an artistic rendering of the dial, or face, of a banjo clock. Constructed of brass and steel in 1805, the banjo clock depicted on the stamp has a painted iron dial and a mahogany case crowned by a brass eagle.

Friday, 19 April 2013


Sälskär Lighthouse is considered to be one of the Baltic Sea’s most beautiful lighthouses. The 31 m (102 ft.) round white brick tower is situated in Hammarland in the northern part of Åland, an archipelago lying at the entrance to the Gulf of Bothnia, midway between Sweden and Finland (60° 24’ 42”N 19° 35’ 30”E). 
The tower was designed by the Finnish architect Axel Hampus Dalström and built in 1868. The lighthouse was damaged by storms in 1894 and ten years later the tower was strengthened by steel cables. This could be the reason that the lighthouse has survived until our time. The wires were removed in the 80’s and the lighthouse was renovated at the end of the 90’s.
Sälskär is a few hectares large and as the name suggests it used to be a base for seal hunters. The nature is strikingly beautiful with only low-growing vegetation and today there are no inhabitants in the island. This tower was the first lighthouse in Finland to be automated in July 1949.
Bothnian Sea National Park is the 37th national park in Finland and it was established in 2011. The name of the park is Selkämeri in Finnish. It is the fifth marine national park in Finland and it stretches over a distance of 160 kilometers on the western coast of Finland. A total of 98 per cent of the national park lies under the surface: the park protects the marine nature.
Finland Postal Administration issued on May 7th, 2012 a 1st class stamp (0,80 €) featuring the Bothnian Sea National Park. The stamp is the third issue in the National Park stamp series (started in 2009) and shows a coastline scenery and an underwater image.