Thursday, 14 February 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NORWAY

Lista Lighthouse is the last lighthouse in Norway before the North Sea, near to the southernmost point of Norway. Lit is located about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of Vestbygd, a village in the municipality of Farsund. The first light station was established in the prominent cape in November 1836. The actual 34 m (112 ft.) round granite tower was built in 1853 and its light reaches 17.5 nautical miles out to sea. A well-preserved 2-story keeper's house, a fog signal house and garage flank the unpainted dark gray stone tower. Approximately 60.000 people visit Lista Lighthouse all the year round, where the attractions include an information center, a meteorological and an ornithological station, art exhibitions and small concerts. 

The European public postal service members of PostEurop annually issue the Europa stamp series with a common theme. The 2012 topic is devoted to promoting each country’s culture and tourism under the title: Visit … Norway issued on April 13, 2012 three self-adhesive stamps presenting the Pilgrim's Route, (Pilegrimsleden) also known as St. Olav's Way or the Old Kings' Road.
The sainted King Olav Haraldsson was buried in Trondheim in 1030. Nidaros Cathedral was erected over his grave, and for four centuries this city was a pilgrimage site for pilgrims seeking consolation, help and healing. The main route is approximately 640 kilometers (400 mi) long. It starts in the ancient part of Oslo and heads north to end at the Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim. To mark Trondheim's 1,000th anniversary in 1997, the Pilgrim's Route was re-instated and re-opened, and today many use the pilgrim trail as a way of experiencing Norway’s landscapes. The stamp shows two pilgrims along the hiking trail crossing a route marker in Dovre.

No comments: