Friday, 1 February 2013

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM BERMUDA

Bermuda consists of about 138 islands and islets in the Atlantic Ocean north of the Caribbean. Bermuda has two lighthouses, Gibb’s Hill Lighthouse on the south-west and St. David’s Lighthouse on the north-east.  
St David’s Lighthouse stands on the highest point of the St. David’s island, at a total height of 63m (208 ft.) above the sea level (32° 22.0'N 064° 39.0'W). The 22 m (72 ft.) octagonal tower was built of white limestone banded in the middle with a broad red stripe and was first lit on November 3, 1879. The original 2th order Fresnel lens is still in use and its light has a range of 20 nautical miles. Open to the public from May to September, the tower offers panoramic views of land and sea. 
Bermuda with its reefs and beaches washed by the Atlantic Gulf Stream is the habitat of thousands of marine invertebrates. On March 20, 2003 Bermuda Post issued a set of six stamps featuring seashells of the archipelago. The 25¢ stamp depicts the Frog shell (Tutufa rubeta) a species of sea snail, a marine gastropod mollusk in the family Bursidae.
The year 2012 marked the bicentenary of postal service in Bermuda and six stamps were issued to celebrate the date. On March 6, 1812 an official postal system established a twice-weekly service to various points on the island via horseback. By May 20, the St. George’s and Hamilton post offices had opened. The 70¢ stamp shows a mail carriage established by the 1920s and the 95¢ stamp remembers the flying boat Cavalier which established a regular airmail service to New York in 1937.

No comments: