Monday, 11 February 2013


Kangaroo Island is Australia's third-largest island and lies off the coast of South Australia. Cape du Couedic is the south-western point of Kangaroo Island and the cape was named in 1803 in honor of the French sea captain Charles Louis, Chevalier du Couedic. The Cape du Couedic Lighthouse is a prominent landmark and is located on a 82 m. (270 ft.) high rocky cliff,  providing spectacular views of the rocky coastline and colonies of New Zealand fur seals (36°03.5′S 136°41.9′E). 
The 25 m (83 ft.) round unpainted sandstone tower was constructed between 1906 and 1909 and was first lit on June 27, 1909. The tower exhibited a light illuminated by a second-order Fresnel lens to visible range of 17 nautical miles. The tower and the three keeper’s houses were built using local natural sand-colored limestone. In 1957, the Lighthouse was demanned and automated and the keeper’s houses were transferred to the South Australian Government. In 1991, the three keeper’s houses were restored and opened for overnight accommodations. The Cape du Couedic Lighthouse is one of the most historically preserved light stations in Australia; all its buildings maintain a high degree of integrity. 
Australia Post issued on July 17, 2012 three stamps dedicated to the most important international event of the summer 2012 - XXX Olympic Games (July 27 - August 12)   in London. The three subjects chosen are indicative of the strength of Australian athletes at past Olympic Games: historically most medals won by Australian athletes have been in Swimming, Athletics, Cycling and Rowing. The $1.60 stamp depicts an athlete in action in the pole vault competition and also carries the symbol of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Australian athletes in London 2012 won a total of 35 medals, comprising 7 gold, 16 silver and 12 bronze medals, individually or collectively as teams.   

No comments: