Tuesday, 25 September 2012


 The Chihou Lighthouse is one of the best known and most visited of all Taiwanese lighthouses and is located on the summit of Chihou Hill, at the north end of Cijin Island in Kaohsiung. The lighthouse was built by English technicians in 1883 during Ching Dynasty, after the port was opened to foreign trading. In 1916, the Japanese made an extensive renovation of the lighthouse as part of the expansion of Kaohsiung port. The lighthouse plays a crucial role in guiding ships since 1918 during night sailing. Chihou was one of the few major Taiwanese lighthouses to escape World War II undamaged. The 15 m (49 ft) octagonal cylindrical brick tower rises from a 1-story brick keeper's house. The light is still active and hosts a museum at the keeper's house.
On April 21, 1989 Taiwan Post issued a beautiful set  of fifteen definitive lighthouse stamps and the NT$7.50 stamp features the Huayu Lighthouse at Penghu Islands.
Taiwan released on March 8, 2006 a set of four "Pets" definitive stamps featuring two breeds of dog (Labrador and St. Bernard) and two breeds of cat (Siamese and Persian).  The NT$2.50 stamp brings the Labrador. Thank you, Yi-Ning.


Pigeon Point Light Station stands on a rocky promontory about 5 miles (8 km) south of Pescadero, California (37°10'54"N 122°23'38''W) and has been guiding ships approaching San Francisco Bay from the south since 1872. Originally called La Punta de La Ballena (Whale Point), this headland was renamed Pigeon Point in memory of the Carrier Pigeon. The clipper ship Carrier Pigeon sailing from Boston to San Francisco and carrying 1,300 tons of cargo, wrecked near this point on June 6, 1853. 
The 115 ft (35m) white conical brick tower was equipped with original first order Fresnel lens and first lit on November 15, 1872. In 1926 the lighthouse was provided with electricity. In 1972, the US Coast Guard mounted a 24-inch aerobeacon on the front of the tower and officially retired the Fresnel lens from regular duty. The station was automated in 1974. In 1980, the four light keeper’s houses were leased to American Youth Hostels and serves as a youth hostel for travelers.
The tower has been closed to the public since December 2001. At that time, two large sections of a brick and iron cornice located high atop the tower fell to the ground, prompting the closure of the tower and the area immediately around its base. In November 2011, the first order Fresnel lens was moved from the tower's lantern room to the fog signal building and is on display while the tower is restored. Restoration work began in the fall of 2011.
The USPS issued on June 1, 2012 a set of five “Mail a Smile” stamps featuring Disney Pixar's characters. The “Mail a Smile” stamps are being issued as self-adhesive Forever stamps, which are always equal in value to the current First-Class Mail one-ounce rate. The stamp on the card brings the ants Flik and Atta, characters of the computer-animated film A Bug's Life (1998).
The Arizona Statehood Forever stamp was issued on February 14, 2012 to celebrate the centenary of the 48th state of the Union.  Arizona is famously referred to as “The Grand Canyon State” and the stamp’s painting features the colorful and much admired sandstone rock formations of Sedona.
The 5–cent definitive American Toleware stamp features a black toleware coffeepot decorated with red flowers; purple forget–me–nots; and yellow, green and orange leaves, from the Winterthur Museum in Delaware. Curators at Winterthur believe that it was manufactured in Philadelphia between 1850 and 1875.