The West Schouwen Lighthouse is located in Haamstede in the province of Zeeland in the Netherlands (51°42′32″N 3°41′28″E). Designed by L. Valk, the tower’s construction started in 1837 and on March 25, 1840, the light was first lit. The 50 m (164 ft) round brick tower is one of the tallest lighthouses in the Netherlands. A stair of 226 steps, in stone and partially in iron, leads to the top. In 1934, the lighthouse was electrified and painted in the red-and-white spiral pattern as a warning to low flying aircrafts. On May 10, 1940 during World War II, the German Army destroyed the lens system and an auxiliary light was installed in the gallery in 1946. The current 2nd order Fresnel lens was installed on May 28, 1953.
Since 1952, KLM has been presenting World Business Class passengers with a gin-filled small Delftware miniature of a traditional Dutch house on all its intercontinental flights. These little houses have become a much sought-after collector’s item with lively exchange between enthusiasts. There are 92 different houses, each numbered and representing the number of years KLM has been in operation. On 7 October each year, KLM issues a new miniature, almost a million of which are presented to passengers on board. This date is no coincidence; KLM was founded on 7 October 1919.
The Dutch Post Office issued on January 2, 2012 a special edition for collectors presenting in two stamps two KLM Delftware houses. On the postcard, we have the personal stamp “Wereld 1” (World) showing the “Rembrandt House” in Amsterdam (number 48).