Brazilian Post issued on September 1st, 2011 the third stamp of the series “Brazilian Historical Cities” celebrating the fourth centenary of Mogi das Cruzes, city located 50 km far from the city of Sao Paulo. On September 1st, 1611, Sant’Anna de Mogy Mirim was raised to the category of village and became the seventeenth village in Brazil. Over the years, Mogy became a settlement outpost and important trade point to expeditions which explored the hinterlands of Brazil during the 17th century. The economy was considerably boosted by agriculture by providing supply to those who left for the hinterlands in search of the gold mines of Minas Gerais. In the two following centuries the region adjusted to the demand by growing cotton and sugar cane, among other crops, with an emphasis on coffee. Later on, with the arrival of Japanese immigrants, tea, fruits and vegetables, in addition to ornamental plants formed the so-called Green Belt of the Greater São Paulo.
On the top left corner the stamp displays a representation of the bandeirantes (members of an armed band of early explorers in Brazil) who passed through the village of Mogy on their way to the hinterlands. Below are the churches of the First and Third Orders of Carmo, which originally marked the borders of the sixteenth century village. In the center, on the top, the stamp shows the magnificence of the current city of Mogi das Cruzes. The white dove shown right below symbolizes the Feast of the Holy Spirit, the source of faith and culture of the people of Mogi das Cruzes. Next is the Tea House, built by the Japanese Kazuo Hanaoka, one of the most valuable examples of Japanese-Brazilian architecture that has been declared a national heritage by IPHAN. Beside it is the Obelisk, considered the “Ground Zero” of the city and built out of marble blocks. On the right-hand corner is the image of City Hall, a counterpoint to the past representing modernity.