Sunday, 21 August 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARDS FROM NETHERLANDS

 The self-adhesive stamp brings the word “Wereld” (means "world" in Dutch) and a globe in the form of a heart. It is a € 0,95 standard international rate stamp.
 Egmond aan Zee is a village on the North Sea coast in the Dutch province of North Holland. Due to the treacherous sea near Egmond and several shipwrecks along that coast, King William I ordered the construction of a lighthouse in Egmond. Built in 1834/1835, the 28 m (92 ft) round brick tower was first lit on September 30, 1835 and was declared a Dutch memorial to Lieutenant Jan van Speyk.  Jan Carolus Josephus van Speijk blew up his own ship to prevent it from falling into the hands of Belgian revolutionaries at Antwerp on February 5, 1831. The tower was electrified in 1922 and completely renovated in 1968 after being declared as a rijksmonument (National Heritage Site of the Netherlands).  The lighthouse is open to public visits by appointment and is located on the seaside boulevard at the foot of Van Speijkstraat in Egmond aan Zee (52°37′8″N 4°37′18″E).

2011 - STAMPS OF BRAZIL - 16

Continuing with the series dedicated to Historical Cities, the Brazilian Post pays homage in this stamp to the city of Sabará, which in its 300 years played a major role in laying the cultural foundations of the state of Minas Gerais. The city preserves its customs through its cultural and religious festivities and its artistic and architectonic assets.
The stamp issued on July 17th shows on the low left corner of the stamp, one can see the Gold Museum and some items of its collection: gold bars and a mortar. Above it, in blue, one can see the Municipal Theater. In the central part of the image, one can see the Nossa Senhora do Ó church with its façade marked by elements of oriental influence. Next to it, dominating the image, there is a sculpture created by Aleijadinho for the Nossa Senhora do Carmo church. On the right corner next to it there is an image of the mansion of Father Correa, which was built in 1770 and later was turned into the headquarters of the municipal city hall.

Saturday, 20 August 2011

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARDS FROM GERMANY

 Germany issued on July 1, 2010 a beautiful stamp featuring a 19th-century mail coach used to transport and deliver express mail through the country. Even with the construction of the first railways in the 1830’s and the use of trains to transport mail, these coaches still operated in some Alpine regions until the early 20th century.
 Silt is the largest German island in the North Sea, occupying an area of about 38 square miles. When Sylt belonged to the Danish realm in 1853, King Frederick VII ordered the construction of a lighthouse on Sylt's highest elevation, the red cliff, in the northern third of the island (54.946197°N 8.340836°E). The 40 m (131 ft.) round stone tower was first lit on June 4, 1856 and originally constructed using yellow stones from the island of Bornholm in the Baltic Sea.  The tower was reinforced with iron rings in 1875 and still bears the royal crest of Frederick VII of Denmark. Until 1953 the lighthouse used to be greyish-yellow when the current black and white pattern was applied. The light station was electrified in 1929 and automated in 1977. The lighthouse was called by its Danish name Rotes Kliff (red cliff) until 1975, when the name was changed to Kampen, the name of the nearby village. In 2006, Kampen celebrated the 150th anniversary of its famous lighthouse after being completely renovated and freshly painted.
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is a federal state in northern Germany facing the Baltic Sea with steep bluffs, beaches with fine sand dunes and islands such as Rügen and Usedom. From the end of World War II until the reunification of Germany in 1991, it was part of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). Mecklenburg includes the western portion of this coast (the Wismar, Warnemünde, and Rostock areas), while Vorpommern (Lower or Western Pomerania) includes the eastern section from the Stralsund area to the Polish border. The postcard features eight beautiful lighthouses (“schöne leuchttürme“) of the German northeastern coast.

Thursday, 18 August 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NORWAY

 Feistein Lighthouse is situated on a flat island near Klepp, southwestern coast of Norway and was lit for the first time in 1859 - when it was simply mounted in a tower on top of a house. The current 25 m (82 ft.) round cast iron tower was first lit in June 1915. The red and white lighthouse is attached to a 2-story keeper's house and connected to another keeper’s house by a raised walkway.  The lighthouse was automated in 1989 and the keeper’s houses are available for overnight accommodations.  The buildings that remain today, the lighthouse tower, lighthouse keeper's residence, the annex, boatshed and a smithy are preserved as cultural heritage buildings.

Norway Post issued on April 17, 2009 a self-adhesive A-Priority Worldwide stamp featuring Kannesteinen, a rock found in of Vågsøy in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. The sea and the waves have been beating against this rock for thousands of years, skilfully sculpting it into its present shape. This 3-metre high rock is a very popular and easily accessible tourist attraction.

Sunday, 14 August 2011

2011 - STAMPS OF BRAZIL - 15

The Brazilian Post celebrates Paulo Gracindo, man and character, in the centenary of his birth, one of Brazil’s most prestigious actors, recognized for his significant work in numerous movies, TV series, radio and TV programs and soap operas. Issued on July 16, 2011, the stamp presents Gracindo’s face and one of his phrases - “I lived on stage and represented in life.”  The masks symbolize the representation in theater and in the lower left, the imprint of Mercosur (agreement among Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay) because it is a common issue (theme) of these countries.

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

Just offshore on Florida’s southwest coast, 12-mile long Sanibel Island today is regarded as a vacation paradise by lovers of white sand, turquoise water, fresh seafood and plentiful seashells. Located on the eastern tip of the island, the Sanibel Island Lighthouse is a 102 ft (31 m) square pyramidal skeletal tower first lit on August 20, 1884. A central metal-walled cylinder provides access to the lantern via a winding staircase of 127 steps. Two nearby keeper’s house were built on piles to protect them from storm-driven high waters. This lighthouse was the first of a class of skeletal lighthouses built in many parts of the country, especially in Florida. In April 1949, the light station was automated (fed from acetylene gas) and only in 1962 was electrified.
 On September 5, 2010, U.S Postal Administration issued a 44¢ commemorative stamp depicting Mother Teresa of Calcutta, catholic nun who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her humanitarian work. Mother Teresa was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Skopje, Macedonia, on August 26, 1910. She founded the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta, India in 1950. For over 45 years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries. Following her death in 1997, she was beatified by Pope John Paul II and given the title Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.
Jazz is a musical style that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States. A beautiful 44¢ stamp exploring images associated with jazz was issued on March 26, 2011 to pay tribute to this genuine American style.
The guava (Psidium guajava) is a native fruit of tropical regions of the Americas, Asia, and Africa, one of the most common and popular fruits in the world. The 27¢ definitive stamp is part of a Tropical Fruit series issued on April 25, 2008. The five tropical fruits are: guava, kiwi, papaya, pomegranate and star fruit.

Saturday, 13 August 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse in Florida and the second tallest masonry lighthouse in the nation. It is located in the town of Ponce Inlet, Florida, on the north bank of Ponce Inlet where the Halifax and Indian Rivers flow into the Atlantic Ocean. Using red brick shipped south from Baltimore, construction crews erected in four years an impressive 175 ft (53 m) tower, first lit on November 1, 1887. In 1933, the tower light was electrified and the original first-order fixed lens was replaced by a 3rd order Fresnel lens. In 1953, the lighthouse was completely automated. In 1970, the Coast Guard discontinued the light station and established a new light at the Coast Guard Station on the south side of the Inlet.
 After decades of restoration the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse was recommissioned in 1983 and stands today as one of the best preserved most complete Light Stations in the nation. In 1998 the light station was designated a National Historic Landmark as one of only a handful of 19th Century Light Stations to have all its original buildings still intact. The light and the museum are open to the public year round and visitors can climb 203 steps to the top of the tower.
On September 14, 2010, US Postal Service issued a 44–cent commemorative stamp honoring Julia de Burgos, one of Puerto Rico’s most celebrated poets. The stamp is part of the known Literary Arts series.
The first class stamp issued in 2008 depicts one of the most prominent symbols of the American Revolutionary War: the Liberty Bell, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In USA this cracked bell is a familiar symbol of independence and has been described as an icon of liberty and justice.

Friday, 12 August 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NEW ZEALAND

 The Cape Reinga lighthouse stands on a spectacular site overlooking the meeting of the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, at the northern extremity of New Zealand. First lit in 1941, this lighthouse replaced the Maria Van Diemen Lighthouse built in 1879 on nearby Motuopao Island. The 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower with black lantern roof was originally powered by diesel-generated electricity. The station was automated and the last keeper was withdrawn in 1987. In April 2000, the light was powered from battery banks charged by solar panels. Approximately 10,000 people visit the Cape Reinga lighthouse each year.
New Zealand Scenic definitive stamps depict spectacular locations around New Zealand's territory and are well-known and desired among collectors. On August 4, 2010 it was issued five gummed and self-adhesive stamps and the $1.90 value presents the resort town of Queenstown. Located in the south-west of New Zealand's South Island, Queenstown is surrounded by the magnificent Southern Alps and sitting on the shores of crystal-clear Lake Wakatipu.

Tuesday, 9 August 2011

2011 - STAMPS OF BRAZIL - 14

Established on July 15, 1811, the Trade Association of Bahia - ACB, Brazil’s first professional association and the oldest one in the Americas, is celebrating its 200th anniversary in continuous operation this year. Those who pass by the Conde dos Arcos square in Salvador, the capital city of the state of Bahia, immediately see the headquarters of the Trade Association of Bahia, an imposing 19th-century, English-style building that was declared national heritage by the National Historic and Artistic Heritage Institute.
The stamp issued on last July 15th, shows the logo of the 200th anniversary of the Trade Association of Bahia (ACB) and, at the center, its current headquarters over the number 200, indicating the two centuries during which the entity has been active. Above it, one can see the ACB name and the year of its foundation.

Monday, 8 August 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARDS FROM NETHERLANDS

Marian sent me two beautiful postcards of the same original lighthouse located in Vlissingen. Vlissingen is a city in the southwestern Netherlands in Zeeland province. With its strategic location between the Scheldt River and the North Sea, Vlissingen has been an important harbour for centuries and has a rich maritime heritage. In the 17th century Vlissingen was a main harbour for ships of the Dutch East India Company. Vlissingen is mainly noted for the wharves on the Scheldt where most of the ships of the Royal Netherlands Navy (Koninklijke Marine) are built.
 Vlissingen is the birthplace of Michiel de Ruyter, the most famous and one of the most skilled admirals in Dutch history. On March 24, 2007 the city celebrated with a large ship parade, the 400th anniversary of birth of its famous citizen.
 The 11 m (36 ft) pentagonal pyramidal red cast iron lighthouse is located on the west mole on the Boulevard de Ruyter, marking the entrance to the old commercial harbor (Koopmanshaven) of Vlissingen.
The self-adhesive stamp brings the word “Wereld” (means world in Dutch) and a globe in the form of a heart. It is a € 0,95 standard international rate stamp.

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

Situated on a cliff 185 ft above the blue Pacific, the cylindrical white Point Vicente Lighthouse is crowned by a handsome lantern with cross-hatched windows. The 67 ft (20 m) concrete tower was first lit on April 14, 1926 and its original 3rd order Fresnel lens is still in use. Automated in 1971, the well preserved light station is open to the public the second Saturday of each month and is allowed to climb the tower's 74 steps. The lighthouse is located north of Terranea Resort, next to Point Vicente Interpretive Center, off Palos Verdes Drive in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
Nikola Tesla was a Croatian scientist-inventor and electrical engineer known for his studies in the field of electromagnetism which contributed to the birth of commercial electricity. Tesla’s A.C. induction motor conceived in 1883 is widely used throughout the world in industry and household appliances. It started the industrial revolution at the turn of the century. Electricity today is generated transmitted and converted to mechanical power by means of his inventions. Tesla arrived in New York in 1886, became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1891 and is considered one of the outstanding intellects of the world who paved the way for many of the technological developments of modern times. The 20¢ stamp issued on September 9, 1983 is part of a four-stamp series devoted to American inventors.
On June 28, 2009 the U.S. Postal Service issued a 79–cent definitive stamp, part of the well-known Scenic American Landscapes series, presenting Zion National Park, located in Utah, Southwestern United States. The park is known for its incredible deep canyons, high plateaus and striking rock towers and mesas. The stamp depicts a photograph showing layers of sedimentary rock that reflect the park’s geologic origins in the slick rock area on the east side of the park. Thank you, Lori.