Monday, 31 January 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NORWAY

By 1878 it became evident that the lighthouses at Oksøy and Odderøya were not sufficient for safe navigation in the difficult and highly trafficked waters of the Kristiansand fjord. The Grønningen Lighthouse was erected on a small skerry in the entrance to Kristiansandsfjorden, about 3 km (2 mi) south of Fidje. The 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower is attached to a 1-1/2 story masonry keeper's house and the buildings are well preserved. It is fully automated with a modern fog warning device and a third order lens. Today, the lighthouse is used as a hostel in the summer months for day visits and overnight stays.
Norway issued on June 19th, 1996 two stamps commemorating the centennary of the Norwegian Railway Museum, one of the oldest established railway museums in the world. The 3.00k stamp depicts the locomotive “Urskog” built by the German firm of Richard Hartmann in 1895 and its carriages are from the Urskog-Høland line.

The Norwegian wildlife stamp series has been used since 2006 and is one of the favourite series among collectors. The 10.50 NOK stamp depicts the Aortic Fox (Vulpes lagopus) issued on March 29th, 2006.

Sunday, 30 January 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

 The Detroit River Lighthouse is located seven miles off the city of Gibraltar, Michigan, where the Detroit River widens into Lake Erie. In July 1884, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built a crib and a pier at the river and finally the tower was first lit on August 20, 1885. The 49 ft (15 m) round cast iron tower incorporates a 2-story keeper's house and is attached to a 1-story fog signal building. The upper half of the lighthouse is painted black, lower half white; the roof of the fog signal building is red. The tower was rebuilt in 1951 and automated in March 1975. The lighthouse is located in the midst of one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and operates one hour before sunset to one hour after sunrise.
On the postcard, the 98–cent definitive stamp issued on June 28, 2009, in the Scenic American Landscapes series, featuring a view of the Snake River at dawn in the Grand Teton National Park. Thank you, Colleen!

FDC FROM LATVIA

The Latvian Post issued on October, 15th, 2010 a beautiful Ls 0.98 stamp depicting Užavas bãka.. The Latvian word for a lighthouse is bāka. The  19 m (62 ft) white round cylindrical stone tower was built in 1879 on a headland  about 24 km (15 mi) southwest of Ventspils. Thank you, Juris for the FDC.

2011 - STAMPS OF BRAZIL - 02

Brazilian Post issued on January 12, 2011 a stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of Caixa Econômica Federal (Brazil’s federal savings bank), a bank that is part of Brazilian History. Created by a Royal Decree on January 12, 1861 Caixa is today the largest state-owned bank in Latin America. The bank is part of the life of its customers, in every one of the 5,564 municipalities in Brazil, through its branches, lottery network and banking services.

The stamp displays the logo used to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Caixa Econômica Federal, which has been designed to show a map of Brazil being embraced. This expresses the nationwide reach of Caixa, which is an example of an institution that supports special government projects aimed at Brazilian citizens. The colors used are those of the Brazilian flag.

COVER FROM CROATIA

Croatian Post issued on October, 15th, 2010 a souvenir sheet composed of two stamps titled “Minerals and Rocks“, each one with a face value of 3,10 kn. The “cornerstones” of the new series are two postage stamps depicting agate found near the city of Lepoglava and limestone from the island of Brač. The featured samples are from the mineralogical-petrographic collection of the Croatian Natural History Museum.

The traditional Croatian annual lighthouse stamp series was released on September 14th, 2007 depicting three eastern Adriatic lighthouses: Savudrija, Porer and St. John out in the sea. The 5 kn stamp shows the oldest Croatian lighthouse built in 1818 on the cape Bašanija near Savudrija. It is 36 meters high situated in the vicinity of the Slovenian border, marking the southern entrance to the Gulf of Trieste.

Croatia issued on September 30th, 2008 a series of five stamps with motifs of folk costumes called “Croatian Ethnographic Heritage”. On the postcard, there are two 2008 stamps representing the folk art from Bizovak (0,5 kn) and Ravni Kotari regions (1 kn). On March 15, 2010, Croatian Posted released other four stamps from the same ethnographic series.

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM SCOTLAND

Buchan Ness Lighthouse marks the easternmost point of the Scottish mainland, although it actually stands on a small island, linked to the mainland by a bridge. It is located at Boddam, about 6 km (4 mi) south of Peterhead, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
 The area around the headland of Buchan Ness was for many centuries the point from which trading and whaling voyages departed across open ocean. The granite tower was built in 1825 and the light established in 1827: a 35 m (115 ft) round white tower with red bands. There are 166 steps to top of tower.  In 1978 it was converted to electricity, and in 1988 it was automated: its white light is visible for 28 nautical miles (52 km). In 2006, the keeper's houses and other light station buildings were restored and in 2008 the light station was opened for holiday rentals.
The Machin series of postage stamps is the main definitive stamp series in the United Kingdom, used since 5 June 1967. Definitives are available in all the low and high values, sporting a multitude of different colours, but all dominated by the classic portrait of the Queen as the main image. This is why the stamps are called Machins, after Arnold Machin the sculptor of the Queen’s Head which has appeared on all stamps since 1967. Thank you, Heike!

Tuesday, 25 January 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARDS FROM CANADA

My Canadian friend Julie sent me two beautiful lighthouses from her province. The rugged and intricate coastline of British Columbia has about 40 surviving lighthouses; several are landmarks along the Inside Passage, used by popular cruise ships sailing to Alaska from Vancouver or Seattle.
 The Cape Mudge Lighthouse is located at the southern tip of Quadra Island, in the southern entrance to Discovery Passage, British Columbia, Canada. The original wooden tower was lit for the first time on September 16, 1898 and replaced with the current tower in 1916. It is a 12 m (40 ft) white octagonal concrete tower with two 2-story red-roofed keeper's houses. Cape Mudge is now high-tech with an automated weather-observing system and a solar-powered light, horn and videograph fog sensor.
Pulteney Point Lighthouse is located on the west end of Malcolm Island, British Columbia, marking the entrance to the narrow Broughton Strait. The island was uninhabited in 1900, when Finnish immigrant coal miners founded a settlement named Sointula there.  Five years later, due to the growing shipping traffic, a square wooden tower was built and its white dioptric light was lit for the first time on September 12, 1905. The current 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower was built in 1943 and this is a staffed light station with a keeper's house and other buildings. Pulteney Point offers a beautiful cedar trees landscape and visitor come to observe seals and orcas surfacing from the cold blue water.

2011 - STAMPS OF BRAZIL - 01

Brazilian Post issued on January 1st, 2011 a commemorative stamp in honor of Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, president of Brazil who has his mandate completed after eight years (two mandates). Luiz Inácio, known popularly as Lula, ran for President three times unsuccessfully, first in the 1989 election. Lula achieved victory in the 2002 election, and was inaugurated as President on 1 January 2003. In the 2006 election he was re-elected for a second term as President, which ended on 1 January 2011. The stamp features the official photo of the second term of President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, in presidential palace’s gardens (the Palácio da Alvorada). He was succeeded by his former Chief of Staff, Dilma Rousseff, 63 years old, the first woman ever to hold the office.

Sunday, 16 January 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM FINLAND

 Isokari is an island about 20 km (13 mi) west of Uusikaupunki, on the Gulf of Bothnia in the province of Western Finland (Länsi-Suomi). Located the highest point of the island (50 m above sea level) the historic lighthouse was built in 1833 under the supervision of Chief Pilot Gustav Brodd. The 37 m (121 ft) round old-style masonry tower is painted with red and white horizontal bands and is still active.
Finland issued on November 11, 2010 a self-adhesive Christmas stamp depicting a Lapland landscape with Santa Claus in the sleigh pulled by three reindeers over a moon sky.

Thursday, 13 January 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM AUSTRALIA

Smoky Cape Lighthouse is an active lighthouse located on Smoky Cape, a headland 5 km east of the town of South West Rocks, New South Wales, Australia. Standing on a granite headland 140 meters above the sea, it was first lit in 1891 to direct boats towards the entrance to the Macleay River. The 17 m (57 ft) octagonal concrete tower is attached to a 1-story service building and its first order lantern and lens system is still in use today. In 1962 the light was electrified and around 1988 it was automated. The principal keeper's house is operated privately as a bed and breakfast and the cape is a popular point for whale-watching.
Australia's coastline is surrounded by many fascinating islands and atolls. Australia Post issued on March 5th, 2007 a set of six International stamps named “Island Jewels” featuring six islands well known for their natural beauty, landscapes and cultural significance.  The 30¢ stamp presents Rottnest Island, one of Western Australia's most popular holiday spots, located 18 kilometers west of Perth.
Two Christmas stamps were issued on November 1st, 2010 by Australia commemorating the birth of Jesus, the central figure of Christianity. The 1.30¢ stamp shows the angel announcing to the shepherds the good news that Christ the Lord has been born in Bethlehem. Thank you, Christine.