The Cape Reinga lighthouse stands on a spectacular site overlooking the meeting of the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, at the northern extremity of New Zealand. First lit in 1941, this lighthouse replaced the Maria Van Diemen Lighthouse built in 1879 on nearby Motuopao Island. The 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower with black lantern roof was originally powered by diesel-generated electricity. The station was automated and the last keeper was withdrawn in 1987. In April 2000, the light was powered from battery banks charged by solar panels. Approximately 10,000 people visit the Cape Reinga lighthouse each year.
New Zealand Scenic definitive stamps depict spectacular locations around New Zealand's territory and are well-known and desired among collectors. On August 4, 2010 it was issued five gummed and self-adhesive stamps and the $1.90 value presents the resort town of Queenstown. Located in the south-west of New Zealand's South Island, Queenstown is surrounded by the magnificent Southern Alps and sitting on the shores of crystal-clear Lake Wakatipu.