Built in 1886/87 to serve as a leading light to ships through the Wurster arm of the Weser estuary, Obereversand Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1923 due to the River Weser became more and more silted. By the 1990s, the foundation of the tower was undermined and in danger of collapse. In 1999, a preservation society was formed to work with the national park service for relocation and restoration of the lighthouse. In early 2003, the lighthouse was ingeniously lifted off its foundations and barged to the harbor of Dorum, where it was installed on a new foundation just offshore and fully restored.
Germany released on February 3, 2011 a joint issue celebrating 150 years of German - Japan friendship depicting UNESCO World Heritage sites in both countries. Germany issued two stamps and Japan a souvenir sheet with ten stamps. The 0, 75€ stamp presents the landmark of Regensburg, the Cathedral of St. Peter, the main and the greatest Gothic cathedral in Bavaria. Although the building works started as early as 1260, it was only finished in the 19th century.