Friday, 17 June 2011

2011 - STAMPS OF BRAZIL - 08

For all passionate collectors about trains, Brazilian Post issued on April 30th, 2011 a series of three stamps presenting the outside area of centuries-old railway stations, which are historical and architectural landmarks: Luz and Júlio Prestes Stations (in São Paulo) and Central do Brasil (in Rio de Janeiro).
 Luz Station, built with structures brought in from England and displaying features similar to those of the Big Ben and the Westminster Abbey, both in London, was opened to the public on 1st March 1901, and is considered the main gateway to the city of São Paulo. The station is mostly notable for housing the Museum of the Portuguese Language, established in 2006. The Luz Metro station is also located within the complex.
 The current Júlio Prestes Station was designed by Cristiano Stockler das Neves in 1925, in the French Louis XVI style, and completed in 1938. São Paulo Concert Hall (Sala São Paulo), which was opened in the 1990s, seats 1,509 people and is the home of the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra.
The new Central do Brasil Station, opened in 1943, is considered the largest train station in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Its point of reference – the big four-faced clock inspired by the Art Deco movement –has for decades served as both an orientation and reference point for the people of Rio de Janeiro. The sheet vignette highlights elements like the clock, a clapper board and a movie screen, an allusion to the film "Central Station".

No comments: