Brazil issued on June 5th, 2011 a beautiful souvenir sheet with four marine fauna stamps: Jellyfishes (Pelagia sp and Phyllorhyza punctata), Squids (Sepioteuthis sepioidea), Octopus (Octopus insularis) and Starfishes (Oreaster reticulatus). It also depicts other aquatic creatures such as algae, coral and fishes. The logomark of the Japan World Stamp Exhibition – Philanippon 2011 (to be held in Yokohama from July 28 through August 2, 2011) – is placed in the souvenir sheet’s lower right-hand corner.
Thursday, 30 June 2011
Saturday, 25 June 2011
In this issue of the Diplomatic Relations Series released on May 6th, 2011, the Brazilian Post is paying homage to the Republic of Paraguay on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of its independence, focusing on a project that is an example of integration between Brazilians and Paraguayans: the Itaipu hydroelectric power plant.
Itaipu is the largest generator of clean and renewable energy on the planet and holds the world record in water availability and is the world leader in annual production. The construction began in February 1971 and the first generation unit started running on May 5th, 1984. The last two of the 20 electric generation units started operations in September 2006 and in March 2007, thus raising the installed capacity to 14 GW and completing the power plant.
The stamp shows a panoramic view of the Itaipu hydroelectric power plant. In the background, one can see the reservoir of the Itaipu plant, shared by the two countries. At the center, its dam can be seen to the right and its spillway to the left. The dam joins the two banks of the Paraná River. The border between Brazil and Paraguay is at the center of the dam. Brazil is on the right side and Paraguay is on the left side, where one can see the open spillway. As a tribute to a sister country, one can see the logo of the 200th anniversary of Paraguay’s independence on the lower left corner.
The Straits of Johor is a strait that separates the Malaysian state of Johor to the north from Singapore to the south. The Johor Straits Lighthouse marks the western entrance to the strait and is located at a marina, just west of the Second Link Expressway Bridge. The 12 m (39 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower was built in 1958.
Singapore Post Office issued on March 16th, 2011 a set of five stamps celebrating the centennial of aviation in Singapore. The 1st local stamp on the postcard shows the aircraft piloted by Mr. Joseph Christiaens taking off from the racecourse in Farrer Park on 16 March 1911.
Singapore is known internationally as a Garden City since there are about two million trees planted along roadsides, in parks and protected nature areas. “Know 10 Trees” is a National Parks Board initiative aimed at raising the public’s awareness of Singapore’s most common roadside trees, which are depicted in a beautiful set of ten stamps issued on May 26th, 2010. The 1st local stamp presents Senegal Mahogany (Khaya senegalensis), a fast growing evergreen tree with a straight, robust and cylindrical trunk. Thanks, Shiyun
Beachy Head is a chalk headland on the south coast of England, close to the town of Eastbourne in the county of East Sussex. The fabulous white cliff on the postcard is the highest chalk sea cliff in Britain, rising to 162 m (530 ft) above sea level. Beachy Head Lighthouse was first lit in 1902, sited about 165 meters seawards from the base of the cliffs. It was built to replace the decommissioned Belle Toute Lighthouse located 2.5 km (1.5 mi) east of this place.
The 43 m (141 ft) tapered round granite tower was mounted on a square concrete pier and painted white with a broad red horizontal band. Electrified in 1920, the tower was automated and demanned in June 1983. In January 2010 Trinity House proposed to deactivate this light, but following opposition from local boaters it agreed in May to continue the light at reduced power.
The Royal Mail issued on September 16th, 2010 a wonderful series called "Medical Breakthroughs” celebrating six important medical discoveries made by British doctors and scientists. The stamp shows a beautiful image of an implanted lens in the eye replacing the crystalline lens (cataracts surgery). Two Machin definitive stamps are beside the “operated” eye. Thanks, Andy!
Tuesday, 21 June 2011
On November 5th, 2010 Indonesia released a “Fauna and Flora” series and two stamps present animals classified as an endangered species: the primate Belitung Tarsier (Tarsius bancanus saltator) found in the Bangka–Belitung province and the Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae) found in Jambi province, on the east coast of central Sumatra.
On the cover we have two stamps issued in 2011: the Rp 1500 hare stamp celebrating the Lunar Chinese New Year (released on Jan. 25th) and the Rp 2500 stamp that celebrates the International Year of Chemistry (released on March 1st).
Indonesian Culinary is precious and appreciated because of its variety and exotic tastes. The Post Office issued the seventh "Indonesian Traditional Food" stamp series (with seven designs) on July 6th, 2010 and the dish featured on the Rp 1500 stamp is Gulai Iga Kemba’ang (Lamb ribs in curry).
The stamp depicting a boy scout in a wheelchair is one of the three commemorative stamps issued on May 2nd, 2008 to celebrate Special Needs Education. Indonesian National Education Day has been celebrated since 2 May 1908 and was initiated by the Indonesian education hero Ki Hajar Dewantara.
Semarang is one of Indonesia's ten major cities and is in the central part of the north coast of Java. Tanjung Emas is the name of its port, around which lies the city's oldest buildings, some of which date back to the Dutch colonial era or older. The Semarang Lighthouse is located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor and was built in 1883 during Dutch colony. It is a 30 m (98 ft) 12-sided cast iron tower painted white.
Cape Recife Lighthouse is situated at the southern entrance to Nelson Mandela Bay (Algoa Bay), adjacent to the Cape Recife Nature Reserve and about 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The 24 m (79 ft) octagonal brick tower is painted with black and white bands equipped with a radio beacon, fog signal and attached to 1-story keeper's house. It is South Africa's third oldest lighthouse, first lit on April 1st, 1851 on a rocky promontory surrounded by sand dunes and a variety of birdlife, mainly a penguin sanctuary. The tower is opened to guided tours.South Africa is one of the most important fishing nations in Africa. Along an extensive coast there are coastal villages in the Indian Ocean with the warm Mozambique current to the east, and the Atlantic Ocean with the colder Benguela current to the west. South Africa Postal Administration issued on February 19, 2010 a set of 10 stamps presenting different aspects of the simple life of South Africa’s fisher folk. These stamps were designed by Jacoline Naudé and on the postcard we can appreciate the hard routine of fishermen sailing in their boat at sunrise to make their living. Thank you, Bruce!
Friday, 17 June 2011
For all passionate collectors about trains, Brazilian Post issued on April 30th, 2011 a series of three stamps presenting the outside area of centuries-old railway stations, which are historical and architectural landmarks: Luz and Júlio Prestes Stations (in São Paulo) and Central do Brasil (in Rio de Janeiro).
Luz Station, built with structures brought in from England and displaying features similar to those of the Big Ben and the Westminster Abbey, both in London, was opened to the public on 1st March 1901, and is considered the main gateway to the city of São Paulo. The station is mostly notable for housing the Museum of the Portuguese Language, established in 2006. The Luz Metro station is also located within the complex.The current Júlio Prestes Station was designed by Cristiano Stockler das Neves in 1925, in the French Louis XVI style, and completed in 1938. São Paulo Concert Hall (Sala São Paulo), which was opened in the 1990s, seats 1,509 people and is the home of the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra.
The new Central do Brasil Station, opened in 1943, is considered the largest train station in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Its point of reference – the big four-faced clock inspired by the Art Deco movement –has for decades served as both an orientation and reference point for the people of Rio de Janeiro. The sheet vignette highlights elements like the clock, a clapper board and a movie screen, an allusion to the film "Central Station".
Monday, 13 June 2011
Lake Erie is the fourth largest lake of the five Great Lakes in North America and the southernmost of them. It is bounded on the north by the Canadian province of Ontario, on the south by the U.S. states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York, and on the west by the state of Michigan. Lake Erie is Ohio's greatest natural resource and islands tend to be located in the western side of the lake, under the sovereignty of Ohio in the United States.Navigation on the lake has been aided since the nineteenth century by lighthouses dotting the Ohio shoreline. The historic Marblehead Lighthouse (left on the card), built in 1821, is the oldest U.S. lighthouse on the Great Lakes and is by far the state's best known lighthouse. On the left, the historic and restored Fairport Harbor Lighthouse built in 1871, which houses the first Great Lakes lighthouse marine museum in the state of Ohio, as well as in the United States. The postcard presents on the center, from the top to the bottom, Lorain Lighthouse (the "Jewel of the Port") built in 1917; Cleveland Harbor Lighthouse built in 1911 and Mentor Headlands Lighthouse built in 1925.
On the postcard, the 98–cent definitive stamp issued on June 28, 2009, in the Scenic American Landscapes series, featuring a view of the Snake River at dawn in the Grand Teton National Park. Thank you, Laurie!
Saturday, 11 June 2011
The Penghu Islands are an archipelago off the western coast of Taiwan in the Taiwan Strait consisting of 90 small islands and islets covering an area of 141 square kilometers. Yuwongdao Lighthouse is located at the southwestern tip of the Yuwongdao Island near the village of Waian. The original light station was established in 1778 in a tower of a pagoda and the current lighthouse was built in 1875. The 11 m (36 ft) round cast iron tower was designed by the British engineer David Henderson and installed under contract to the Chinese Imperial government (Ch’ing Dynasty).
On March 3rd, 2011 Taiwan Post issued a four-stamp fauna series presenting the beauty of Taiwan’s freshwater fishes. The NT$12 stamp shows Spinibarbus hollandi, a carnivorous carp that feeds on small fish, crustacean and aquatic insects and can be found in the middle stretches of rivers in southern and eastern Taiwan. Thank you, Jun