Brazil issued on April 15th, 2011 a commemorative stamp celebrating the bicentenary of the Military Academy of Agulhas Negras. Created by the King of Portugal D. João in 1810, the Royal Military Academy - the embryo of the Military Academy of Agulhas Negras - was officially open on April 23, 1811 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. The Academy was established with the aim to train future infantry, cavalry, artillery and engineering officers, including geographers and surveyors, capable of carrying out not only military functions but also civilian work in mines, roads, ports and channels. In 1944, the Academy was finally settled in the city of Resende and remains training the future Army officers.
The stamp features the historic gates of the Military Academy of Agulhas Negras surrounded by a green and yellow sash representing the colors of the Brazilian flag, with the Coat of Arms of AMAN superimposed in the center and the years 1811 and 2011 on the sash. Under the Coat of Arms is the phrase “AMAN 200 years”, crossed by Caxias’ Sword, a distinctive weapon used by the cadets. On the right hand side is the dark blue military cap used in official events and in the graduation ceremony of Army officers. On the bottom hand side the sentence “Two centuries training future Army officers” complements the stamp.