Pensacola is Florida’s second oldest city, has the deepest bay on the Gulf Coast and an important harbor. In 1824, a 40-foot (12 m) tower was built at the south entrance to Pensacola Bay, but the light was considered too dim and it remained in service until 1858. A new and taller tower was constructed one-half mile west of the original lighthouse by John Newton of the Army Corps of Engineers. The new and current 150 ft (46 m) brick tower is the tallest lighthouse on the U.S. Gulf of Mexico coast and was first lit on New Year’s Day, 1859. The lighthouse has the upper two thirds painted black and the lower third white and is attached to a 2-story brick keeper's house. The station was electrified in 1939 and automated in 1965.
The lighthouse is located on the grounds of Naval Air Station Pensacola across from the Naval Aviation Museum and is maintained by Pensacola Lighthouse Association. The keeper's house has been renovated and offers exhibits on the history of the lighthouse and the Naval Air Station.
On the postcard, the 98–cent definitive stamp issued on June 28, 2009, in the Scenic American Landscapes series, featuring a view of the Snake River at dawn in the Grand Teton National Park. Thank you, Maux.