Liouciou (Liuchiu Yu) is a coral island located in Pingtung County, in Southern Taiwan. The island is a popular beach resort and lies 15 km (8 nautical miles) southwest of Tungkang. The Liouciou Lighthouse is an 11 m (36 ft) round white concrete tower at the highest point on the southeastern coast of the island. Constructed in 1929 during the Japanese occupation by the fishermen’s association, it guides ships in Taiwan Strait and the Bashi Channel and also the local fishermen. The white tower was deactivated in 1944 due to the damage in World War II, but it was rebuilt in 1952 and equipped with a fifth-order acetylene flashing light. The station was electrified in 1980 and in recent years, the lighthouse has also become one of the most popular wedding album shooting spots and tourism attractions.
On April 21, 1989 Taiwan Post issued fifteen definitive lighthouse stamps and the stamps featured on the postcard are: Dongyin (Tungyin Tao) Lighthouse at Matsu Islands (value 4.50) and Huayu Lighthouse at Penghu Islands (value 7.50). Thank you, Midori.