Sunday, 16 January 2011

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM FINLAND

 Isokari is an island about 20 km (13 mi) west of Uusikaupunki, on the Gulf of Bothnia in the province of Western Finland (Länsi-Suomi). Located the highest point of the island (50 m above sea level) the historic lighthouse was built in 1833 under the supervision of Chief Pilot Gustav Brodd. The 37 m (121 ft) round old-style masonry tower is painted with red and white horizontal bands and is still active.
Finland issued on November 11, 2010 a self-adhesive Christmas stamp depicting a Lapland landscape with Santa Claus in the sleigh pulled by three reindeers over a moon sky.

No comments: