Monday, 28 June 2010

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

One more nice cover from USA with a Californian lighthouse postcard sent by Mr. McRoberts. Let's see the stamps from the left to the right: the centenary of Nevada statehood was celebrated on a 5¢ stamp issued on July 22, 1964. The stamp depicts an image of Virginia City and the map of Nevada on the right corner.
The U.S. Postal Service released on September 24, 1966 a 5¢ commemorative stamp honoring Johnny Appleseed. Appleseed, whose real name was John Chapman, was born on September 26, 1774 and is world reknowned for having planted thousands of apple trees around the Northwest Territories of the United States.
 On May 27, 2010, US issued a 44-cent commemorative stamp honoring Kate Smith, the celebrated singer and entertainer, best known for her rendition of Irving Berlin's "God Bless America". 
Katharine Hepburn, one of America’s most fascinating and awarded film stars, is remembered by US Postal Service on a 44–cent commemorative stamp issued on May 12, 2010. Hepburn holds the record for the most Best Actress Oscar wins with four, from 12 nominations.


Point Conception Lighthouse is located on Point Conception at the west entrance of the Santa Barbara Channel, California, about 15 miles (25 km) south of Lompoc. One of the earliest California light stations, built in 1856, the original tower was built high on the sandstone cliffs. In 1882, the lighthouse was moved and rebuilt from the top of the bluff to a mesa halfway down, 133 feet above the Pacific Ocean. The 52 ft (16 m) stucco-clad brick tower attached to a 1-story brick fog signal building is still in good condition. Due to the remoteness and inaccessibility of the lighthouse, few are the people who get to enjoy the beauty of this location.

Sunday, 27 June 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

My friend Carl sent me this nice viewcard of Lime Kiln lighthouse at dusk.  The Lime Kiln lighthouse is located on the west side of San Juan Island, the largest island of the archipelago, part of the U.S. state of Washington. Built in 1914, its name derived from the lime kilns built nearby in the 1860s. The 38 ft (12 m) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower sits on the rocky shoreline at the entrance to Haro Strait, a major shipping route to Vancouver, Canada. In 1985, the light station was leased by the Whale Museum in Friday Harbor as a center for whale tracking and research.
On July 14th, 2004 U.S. Postal Service issued a 23¢ definitive postage stamp in the Distinguished Americans stamp series honoring Wilma Rudolph. In the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome she became the first American woman to win three gold medals in track and field during a single Olympic Games.
The Postal Service issued on June 1st, 2007 two stamps in the Scenic American Landscapes series and the 69¢ value features a photograph of a pond in the Okefenokee Swamp. The Okefenokee Swamp encompasses nearly 700 square miles in southeastern Georgia and a small portion of northern Florida. It is home to a wide range of animal and plant life, from alligators, cranes, and black bears to cypress trees and carnivorous plants.
The lighthouse stamp issued on July 9th, 1970 celebrates the sesquicentennial of Maine statehood and shows a painting of Edward Hopper named "The Lighthouse at Two Lights". It is the silhouette of the 129 ft lighthouse tower and adjoining keeper's house on a rocky promontory in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM BELGIUM

On August 26th 2008 Belgium Post issued five personalized stamps (called Duostamps) featuring the character Tintin, a young Belgian reporter, hero of comic strips created by the Belgian artist Georges Rémi. Duostamps are personalized stamps where the tab on the right is in fact the stamp and on the left you can choose your own motif.
Belgium released four values depicting the current King Albert II (ascended to the throne in 1993) and the cover brings the Royal effigy issued on January 2nd, 2009. It is the € 1,15 value stamp for worldwide mail.


The postcard with the inscription “Belgian Coast” presents four lighthouses of that country. Belgium has a North Sea coast about 65 km (40 mi) long, all of it located in the Flemish-speaking province of West Vlaanderen (West Flanders). There are four ports on this coast: Nieuwpoort, Oostende, Blankenberge, and Zeebrugge, and each of the four has its own collection of lighthouses. Knokke-Heist, a seaside resort is located east of Zeebrugge port. Thank you very much, Nathalie.

Wednesday, 23 June 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM SRI LANKA

Ravindra, lighthouse stamp and postcard collector from Sri Lanka sent me this card. Ravindra has an interesting and rich blog: http://www.lighthousesonstamps.blogspot.com/ . Thank you, my friend.
Galle is Sri Lanka’s oldest city and was, for centuries, Sri Lanka’s main port. Located about 115 km south of the capital city of Colombo, Galle has a splendid natural harbor. The Galle Lighthouse is Sri Lanka's oldest light station, built in 1848 by the Dutch colonial rulers. The original lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1936 and the present tower was built by British engineers in 1939. The light station is within the walls of the ancient Galle Fort, a UNESCO world heritage site and well known tourist attraction, making this the country's most often visited lighthouse. The 26.5 m (87 ft) round cast iron tower is located at the end of a peninsula sheltering the harbor of Galle, at the southwestern corner of Sri Lanka.

On December 26th, 2005 Sri Lanka Post Office issued four stamps remembering the Tsunami devastation occurred in the island one year before. An earthquake occurred at a point 10 km deep under the sea on 26th December 2004, 1600 km away from the Eastern coast of Sri Lanka. Subsequent to this powerful earthquake (measuring 9.0 on the Richter scale), Tsunami waves reached the shores of Sri Lanka and other Asian and African countries causing heavy devastation. The Rs. 33.00 stamp depicts Tsunami waves on a suburban lighthouse in the country.

Saturday, 19 June 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

The New Haven Lighthouse is located in Lighthouse Point Park on the east side of the entrance to New Haven harbor, Connecticut. Built in 1847 by Marcus Bassett, the 70 ft (21 m) octagonal brownstone tower guided many ships into the harbor, until 1877 when a more strategic light was built near the breakwater. Painted white, the tower which has a circular staircase with 74 steps guiding the way to the lantern was restored in 1986. The 2-1/2 story red brick keeper's house was originally attached to the lighthouse by a wooden passage way. The keeper's house, currently leased as a residence, is in poor condition.

On July 23, 2009, the US Postal Service continued its popular series of lighthouses stamps issuing five commemorative stamps. Two 44–cent stamps from the Gulf Coast Lighthouses series illustrate this card: Sand Island, near the entrance to Mobile Bay in Mobile, Alabama and Fort Jefferson (also known as Garden Key Lighthouse), 50 miles west of Key West, Florida. The definitive stamp “American Clock” features an artistic rendering of the dial, or face, of a banjo clock. Constructed of brass and steel in 1805, the banjo clock depicted on the stamp has a painted iron dial and a mahogany case crowned by a brass eagle. Thank you, Katherine.

BRAZIL - 2010 ISSUE PROGRAM

Brazilian Post will issue on June 28, 2010 a commemorative stamp part of the Diplomatic Relations Series started in 2009: Brazil-Syria – History and Tourism.
On the left, the stamp displays features of the city of Rio de Janeiro, which are symbols of recreation for tourists and the local population. Centrally placed, in the foreground, there is the Guanabara Bay with the imposing Sugar Loaf Mountain and in the left corner, the Statue of Christ the Redeemer. The Copacabana Sidewalk, with its exuberant wavy shapes designed with Portuguese stones and transformed into a beautiful mosaic, is on the lower right-hand side of the stamp. The left-hand corner contains partial images of the Copacabana Fort, an iconic building representing a rich past regarding political events, which was transformed in the 1980s into the headquarters of the Army History Museum.
On the right, the stamp portrays Syria and the rustic beauty of Maalula, an ancient mountainous city lying northeast of Damascus. In Maalula, the population still speaks Aramaic. The stamps are divided in the middle by a transversal band, featuring the Brazilian and Syrian flags and flowers ( Laelia purpurata orchid, the symbol of Brazil, and white jasmines, Jasminum grandiflorum, the symbol of Damascus) at the edges, to symbolize the links between the two countries.

Sunday, 13 June 2010

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM FRANCE

Jean Pierre sent me a beautiful envelope with le Phare du Creach in Brittany and  a nice stamp. French Post issued on February, 8th, 2010 two stamps celebrating the 2010 Winter Olympics, held on February 12–28, 2010, in Vancouver, Canada. The stamps (face value 0,85 €) present two Olympic sports: alpine skiing and figure skating.

The Créac'h lighthouse (in French: Phare du Creach) is a lighthouse located at the northwestern tip of the Île d'Ouessant, an island in the English Channel which marks the north-westernmost point of metropolitan France, in the Finistère department. The 55 m (180 ft) round stone tower painted with black and white horizontal bands, rises from a 2-story keeper's house complex. This is one of France's greatest and most important lighthouses: built in 1863, the original lantern was replaced in 1888 and again in 1939. The actual lantern is one of the world's most powerful lights, visible for more than 60 km (37.5 mi). The lighthouse houses a museum exhibiting a wide collection of Fresnel lenses and other equipment.

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM SAINT PIERRE ET MIQUELON

Pointe aux Canons Lighthouse is the most distinctive landmark of Saint-Pierre built in 1862. Painted in bright red and white colors the 11 m (35 ft) octagonal stone tower is located at the end of a stone pier in the harbor at Saint-Pierre. The point is named for the cannons of the nearby historic fort. The original lantern has been removed, and the light is mounted in a small enclosure at the top of a dome-shaped platform atop the tower.

On November 4th, 2009 St. Pierre and Miquelon Post issued a block of four stamps with a face value of 0, 56€. The block "The port of Saint-Pierre blocked by ice" issued in the series "Saint-Pierre and Miquelon past" was produced in offset from vintage postcards. The stamps on the postcard represent the ice in the harbor of Saint-Pierre and walking on the ice. Thank you, Jean Pierre for the card.

Saturday, 12 June 2010

BRAZIL - 2010 ISSUE PROGRAM

On June 14th, 2010 Brazilian Post will issue a commemorative stamp honoring the Danish paleontologist Peter Lund considered the "Father of Brazilian paleontology and archeology”. Peter Wilhelm Lund, born in 1801, studied Medicine at the University of Copenhagen and came to Brazil for the first time in 1833, to continue his studies in botany and zoology. In 1835, Lund decided to settle in Lagoa Santa, in the state of Minas Gerais, finding the perfect place to live and develop his work quietly. In nine years of research, he explored more than a hundred caves, and found about 120 fossil species and 94 belonging to the current fauna.

In 1844, Lund ended his work in the caves, and took a new direction in his research. In 1845, he sent his magnificent collection to the University of Copenhagen in Denmark and then devoted himself to botany. The next 35 years were spent exchanging letters with the curators of his collections in Copenhagen, as well as receiving the visits of young European naturalists. The complete study of his collections, E Museo Lundii, was published only in 1888. Lund never married and died in Lagoa Santa three weeks before completing the age of 79. He made many friends and gained the affection of the small town of Lagoa Santa, where he lived for many years, providing an invaluable contribution to the town’s cultural life, teaching music, and creating, in 1842, its first band, the Santa Cecilia band.
In the background the stamp displays a cave located in the interior of the municipality of Lagoa Santa, in the State of Minas Gerais, where the Danish paleontologist Peter Lund carried out some of his most important research and findings and lived most of his life in the 19th century. In the center of the stamp, a picture of the researcher in his maturity years represents his dedication to science and appreciation of Lagoa Santa.

Thursday, 10 June 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM ITALY

Cape Palascìa, commonly known as Capo d'Otranto, is Italy's most easterly point. It is situated about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Otranto, in the Province of Lecce. The Capo d’Otranto lighthouse was built in 1867 and is inactive since the 1970s. The 32 m (105 ft) round stone tower rises from a 2-story keeper's house and is often visited by tourists, especially at New Year, since it stands at the point where the dawn of the New Year may first be seen in Italy. According to nautical conventions, Capo d'Otranto marks the point where the Ionian Sea and the Adriatic Sea meet. The lighthouse of Otranto, after a restoration of the main building, was reopened on December 19, 2008 and hosts the Centre on Environment and Health of the Mediterranean ecosystems (ObsEco) and a multimedia museum of the sea.
Poste Italiane issued on February 12, 2010 a stamp dedicated to the Youth Olympic Games “Singapore 2010” featuring a number of young athletes with their arms raised, representing a move aimed at capturing a ball, which symbolizes the Earth's surface; in the centre at the top is the logo of the event, with the five Olympic rings. Thank you, Carla for your nice card!

Tuesday, 8 June 2010

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM USA

Carrick from California sent me an interesting cover with three ancient stamps and two recent issues. The black brown 3¢ stamp issued on August 5th, 1956, honors Wheatland, the home of President James Buchanan in Lancaster, PA. The 4¢ stamp issued on December 28, 1961 features a student nurse lighting candle. On April 1st, 1965 USA issued the 5¢ Crusade against Cancer stamp depicting a microscope and a stethoscope.
On April 17, 2010, the US Postal Service issued a 44–cent commemorative stamp in four designs named Cowboys of the Silver Screen. The stamps honor four extraordinary performers who helped make the American Western a popular form of entertainment. On the cover we have two actors: Tom Mix and Gene Autry. Tom Mix was Hollywood’s first Western megastar. Born Thomas Hezikiah Mix, “Tom” was an American film actor and the star of many early Western movies. Orvon Eugene Autry, better known as Gene Autry, was an American performer who gained fame as The Singing Cowboy on the radio, in movies and on television for more than three decades beginning in the 1930s.

The Battery Point Lighthouse was one of the first lighthouses on the California coast built in 1856. The lighthouse is located on a small island just outside Crescent City's Harbor. The 45 ft (14 m) cylindrical brick tower on the roof of a 1-1/2 story granite keeper's house was inactive from 1965 to 1982. On December 10, 1982, the light in the lighthouse tower was lit again, and the Battery Point Lighthouse was listed as a private aid to navigation. Visits to the Battery Point Lighthouse and Island are only possible at low tides. Extreme care and caution should be used when crossing the two hundred feet between the mainland and island anytime wave action may cover the crossing area. The tower and a museum are opened to visits in season.

U.S. Postal Service issued on August 11, 2009 the commemorative 20-stamp sheet “Early TV Memories” that honors 20 television icons. A ceremony at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in North Hollywood marked the release of the issue and the FDC above brings Lassie, the eternal collie dog.

Sunday, 6 June 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM GREECE

Patras is located at the Western part of Greece’s mainland on the Northwestern coast of Peloponnesus. The original lighthouse of Patra, built in 1858, was located at the end of the pier at the foot of Agios Nikolaos Street. The lighthouse was demolished in 1972 during the dictatorship , a tragic loss of a valuable and valued civic landmark. A replica of the city's emblematic old lighthouse was constructed in 1999 using the original stones as a part of a coastline beautification project. The 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical stone tower rises from a 1-story stone keeper's house and now sits in a newly developed area surrounded by a recreation space, a cafe and a restaurant overlooking the city's port.

Hellenic Post issued on October 20, 2009 a set of five stamps titled ''Fragments of Greek Mythology and Folk Tradition''. The 0.01 € stamp depict Theseus against the Minotaur. According to the Cretan tales Theseus overpowered the Minotaur with his strength and used his sword to stab the beast in the throat. The 0.70 € stamp features Talos, a gigantic man of bronze and the Dioscuri, the twin star-crowned gods of horsemanship. Thank you, Sophie for the nice card

Saturday, 5 June 2010

BRAZIL - 2010 ISSUE PROGRAM

A Worldwide Passion! The 19th FIFA World Cup will start on June 11th in South Africa and 32 nations will aim to win the most hotly disputed trophy in the world. The Brazilian team, which is the only one to have taken part in all the previous World Cups, will be there once again, as the only five-time world champions. Brazil won the World Cup in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002.This will be the first time that the tournament has been hosted by an African nation.

Brazilian Post will issue on June 11, 2010 a R$ 2,55 commemorative stamp celebrating the event. An image in circular format in the middle of the stamp shows a partial image of South America and Africa with the maps of Brazil and South Africa (the host country) covered by their national flags. The strip surrounding the stamp features the national flags of thirty countries taking part in the 2010 World Cup and a stylized illustration of two players. These images lay over the Brazilian and South African flags.

Friday, 4 June 2010

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARDS FROM SPAIN

Rosa Isabel, my Spanish collector's friend sent me this cover, some nice stamps and three lighthouse postcards from her country. On January 27, 2006, Correos de España issued a 0,78 € stamp to commemorate the 150 years of the History of the Bank of Spain, the national central bank of Spain. The bank building, located in the Plaza de Cibeles in Madrid, was inaugurated in 1891 and was built by architects Severiano Sainz de la Lastra and Eduardo de Adaro. In the stamp is depicted the corner of the last enlargement done lately by architect Rafael Moneo.

The Cabo Mayor lighthouse presides over the entrance to the Bay of Santander, province of Cantabria, Spain. Located on a headland projecting into the sea about 5 km north-eastern of the city, this historic lighthouse was built in response to a royal order of 1833 and inaugurated in 1839. The 30 m (98 ft) stone tower rises from the center of a circular 1-story stone keeper's house. Well maintained, it is a popular touristic attraction adjacent to an area with race track, camp site, public park and golf course.

The Death Coast (Costa da Morte) is part of the Spanish Galician coast and received its name because there have been so many shipwrecks along its treacherous rocky shore. Cabo Corrubedo is the most dangerous Spanish cape south of Finisterre, since it projects far into the sea and the ridge continues underwater as a series of shoals. Here is located the Cabo Corrubedo lighthouse, the 14 m (46 ft) round granite tower, mounted atop a semicircular 1-story masonry keeper's house. Built in 1853 by the Spanish engineer Celedonio Uribe, it was lit on February 20th, 1854. The unusual semicircular design of the keeper's house was meant to minimize wind resistance.

The Castro-Urdiales lighthouse is located atop a vertical cliff at the point of the peninsula in Castro-Urdiales, Cantabria. The 16 m (52 ft) stone tower is attached to one corner of the massive stone Castle of Santa Ana. The lighthouse was lit for the first time on November 19, 1853, during the reign of Elizabeth II and has been renovated several times. The Castle of Santa Ana and the adjacent church of Santa Maria de la Asunción are among the oldest and best known Gothic buildings of the province; they are believed to date from the 13th century.

Thursday, 3 June 2010

COVER AND LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NEW CALEDONIA

This is my first cover from New Caledonia sent by my friend Jean Pierre.  One of the largest of the South Pacific countries, New Caledonia is an island chain located roughly 1600 km (1000 mi) east northeast of Australia. Discovered by the Capt. James Cook in 1774, it has been a French territory since 1853. The country consists of one large island, called Grand Terre, and many smaller islands. The population was estimated in January 2009 to be 249,000 and the capital and largest city of the territory is Nouméa.

In March 2010, New Caledonia Post issued three stamps of the series “Market fishes” depicting species found on the market stalls in Noumea and appreciated by gourmets and anglers. On the cover we can find the wahoo (Acanthocybium solandri), species with an elongated body marked by dark blue vertical stripes. The flesh of the wahoo is white, delicate, and highly regarded by many gourmets. This has created some demand for the wahoo as a premium priced commercial food fish.
The yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) is a popular sport fish and also is widely used in raw fish dishes, especially sashimi. The stock of yellowfin tuna starts to be fully exploited in the western equatorial Pacific and in 2010 Greenpeace International added the yellowfin tuna to its seafood endangered list.
New Caledonia boasts the world's second tallest cast iron lighthouse, the active Amédée lighthouse, located on Amédée Island, 24 km away from Nouméa. This magnificent lighthouse, the pride of New Caledonia, was prefabricated in France in 1862, disassembled into 1,265 pieces weighing a total of 388,000 kilos and shipped halfway around the world. The 55 m (180 ft) round 16-sided cast iron white tower was first lit on 15 November 1865. Today it is New Caledonia's best known tourist attraction and the tower is opened to guided tours.