Ms. Tarbox sent me an envelope with nice postcards from New Hampshire. On the cover, the 98–cent definitive stamp issued on June 28, 2009, in the Scenic American Landscapes series, featuring a view of the Snake River at dawn in the Grand Teton National Park.
The Isles of Shoals are a small group of islands and rocks 9 miles (15 km) southeast of Portsmouth, lying partly in Maine and partly in New Hampshire’s Atlantic coast. The Isles of Shoals Lighthouse sits atop White Island, the most southerly of the islets. The first lighthouse on the island was built of rubble stone in 1822, but exposed to the full fury of the Atlantic, the original tower began deteriorating quickly. The actual 58 ft (17.5 m) cylindrical white brick tower, attached to a 1-1/2 story keeper's house was built in 1859. In 2005, the tower and the keeper's house were restored, but a northeast storm in mid-April 2007 did much damage on the lighthouse: the walkway was demolished, the foghorn and solar panels for the navigational system were swept away.
Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse is located on the grounds of the Portsmouth Harbor Coast Guard Station, adjacent to Fort Constitution State Historic Site in New Castle, New Hampshire. The 48 ft (14.5 m) cast iron tower, painted white with lantern and gallery black was built in 1878. Early in 2000 the American Lighthouse Foundation leased the tower for preservation. A support group, Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Light, works for preservation and restoration of the light station. Since then, the tower was restored and repainted and the walkway to the light station was rebuilt to improve access.
Lake Sunapee is a long, narrow lake located in western New Hampshire, United States. In the late 19th century, the beautiful lake became a popular destination for travelers who boarded steamships seeking for resort hotels and family estates sprinkled along the shoreline. In 1891, the steamer “Edmund Burke” struck an underwater ledge at Loon Island. The accident led to the construction, in 1893, of a wooden lighthouse on this small island near the middle of the lake. The original Loon Island lighthouse was destroyed by fire after by a lightning strike in 1960, but it was rebuilt in the same year. In the 1980s, the 25 ft (7.5 m) hexagonal wooden tower, painted white, received solar panels.