The Cape Reinga lighthouse stands on a spectacular site overlooking the meeting of the Pacific Ocean and the Tasman Sea, at the northern extremity of New Zealand. First lit in 1941, this lighthouse replaced the Maria Van Diemen Lighthouse built in 1879 on nearby Motuopao Island. The 10 m (33 ft) octagonal concrete tower with black lantern roof was originally powered by diesel-generated electricity. The station was automated and the last keeper was withdrawn in 1987. In April 2000, the light was powered from battery banks charged by solar panels. Approximately 10,000 people visit the Cape Reinga lighthouse each year.
On July 7th, 2010 New Zealand Post released its annual Children's Health issue with three beautifully illustrated butterfly stamps - each with a 10-cent surcharge that goes to support the New Zealand Foundation for Child and Family Health and Development. The 50c + 10c surcharge stamp presents the monarch butterfly (Danaus plexippus) widely found in New Zealand.
Two definitive stamps of the well-known Scenic Definitive series: the $1.00 Rangitoto Island (issued on May 9th, 2007) and the 30 c Tolaga Bay (issued on July 1st, 2009).