Thank you, Traci for the nice postcard.
Starting in the mid 1800's, Coos Bay had become an important shipping point on the west coast of the United States. Cape Arago light station located on Chief's Island was first illuminated on November 1, 1866. The wooden tower remained in service for nearly forty-four years. However, sailor's demands for a better light and the threat of erosion meant the end of the first tower, and in 1909, the second wooden tower was lit. Seeking a more durable structure, the actual 44 ft (13.5 m) octagonal cylindrical tower was constructed of concrete in 1934. The lighthouse was deactivated on New Year's Day 2006 and the only surviving structures on the island today are the lighthouse and the high bridge constructed in 1889 to provide access to the island. The Chief’s Islands are located just off the coast about 3 miles (5 km) west of Charleston, Oregon.
On April 22, 2010, US Postal Service issued a 44–cent, Love: Pansies in a Basket commemorative stamp. The stamp features the image of a white woven cart filled with deep and light purple pansies and green foliage. The word “LOVE” adorns the left side of the stamp.