Saturday, 14 August 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM SWEDEN

Örskär is a Swedish island and lighthouse station located north of Gräsö on the Uppland coastline. Örskär is the second lighthouse to be built in Sweden and currently is a well-preserved light station. The first tower was constructed of wood in 1687, but was burned down in 1737. The present lighthouse was built in 1739 by the royal architect, Carl Hårleman, who also built the royal palace in Stockholm. The 33 m (108 ft) 2-stage stone tower is painted white with one black horizontal band on each stage. The lower stage is octagonal and the upper stage is round.

Swedish Post Office issued on May 13, 2010 a commemorative three-stamp miniature sheet celebrating the wedding of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, and Daniel Westling. The wedding took place on 19 June 2010. More than 1200 guests including royalty and statesmen from various countries were invited to the wedding ceremony which took place at Stockholm Cathedral. Following their wedding the Duchess and Duke of Västergötland moved to Haga Palace. Thank you, Miriam for the beautiful postcard.

No comments: