Saturday, 28 August 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM NORWAY

Lista Lighthouse is the last lighthouse in Norway before the North Sea, near to the southernmost point of Norway. Lit is located about 800 m (1/2 mi) west of Vestbygd, a village in the municipality of Farsund. The first light station was established in the prominent cape in November 1836. The actual 34 m (112 ft) round granite tower was built in 1853 and its light reaches 17.5 nautical miles out to sea. A well-preserved 2-story keeper's house, a fog signal house and garage flank the unpainted dark gray stone tower. Approximately 60.000 visitors come to Lista Lighthouse all the year round, where the attractions include an information centre, a meteorological and an ornithological station, art exhibitions and small concerts. The tower is open daily over the Easter weekend and in June, July, and August.

Norway Post issued on April 17, 2009 a self-adhesive A-Priority Worldwide stamp featuring Kannesteinen, a rock found in of Vågsøy in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. The sea and the waves have been beating against this rock for thousands of years, skilfully sculpting it into its present shape. This 3-metre high rock is a very popular and easily accessible tourist attraction.

No comments: