Today this tower is one of the best-known symbols of East Frisia. Thank you, Kamila for the card.
The Pilsum Lighthouse was built in 1891 in order to provide a beacon for the Emshörn channel on Germany's North Sea coast. It is located on a dyke near the village of Pilsum in the East Frisia region, state of Lower Saxony, Germany. The 11 m (36 ft) round cylindrical cast iron tower has guided ships through the narrow channel since 1915. In the First World War its light was extinguished in order that enemy ships could not navigate the route. Maintained between the World Wars as a daybeacon, the lighthouse was effectively abandoned at the start of World War II because the channel was changed. In 1973, the exterior was restored and painted with its present red and yellow horizontal bands pattern. In early 2005, after some previous restorations, the lighthouse was reactivated with a new 60 cm (24 in) lens: the light was displayed through a window at the top of the tower.
In 2010, Germany celebrates the bicentenary of the Museum of Natural History in Berlin and a commemorative stamp issued on January 2nd, 2010 remembers the date. It one of the world's largest and most important museums of its kind. More than a half million people visit its exhibitions per year, which focus the history of the earth and life, the diversity of life and meteorite research. The 0, 45 € stamp features the 14 meters high dinosaur skeleton and items of the zoological collection.