The Stoer Head Lighthouse stands on a rocky promontory surrounded on two sides by cliffs near the westernmost point of the Stoer Peninsula, in the Highlands, Scotland. This is a remote, wild and lonely spot and over the centuries this area became the graveyard of many ships. The lighthouse was built in 1870 by David and Thomas Stevenson, members of the Stevenson dynasty who as successive generations of chief engineers of the Northern Lighthouse Board were responsible for building most of Scotland's lighthouses. The 14 m (56 ft) round cylindrical stone tower is attached to a 2-story keeper's house and was automated in 1978. The keepers' accommodation is today rented out as two holiday apartments.