Thursday, 29 July 2010


Lindsorts lighthouse is Sweden's oldest light station established in 1651. The actual 25 m (82 ft) white cylindrical tower was built in 1689 with an upper conical iron section added in 1870. The lighthouse was electrified in 1938 and automated in 1963. Landsort is the southern tip of Öja, a narrow island about 2.2 km (1.4 mi) long aligned north to south so that it commands the approaches to Nynäshamn and Stockholm. The island is accessible by passenger ferry from Nynäshamn.
Sweden Post issued on September 24, 2009 a miniature sheet with ten stamps (five designs) called “Traveling in Space”. The issue celebrates the Swedish astronaut Arne Christer Fuglesang who has participated on two space shuttle missions (2006 and 2009) and five spacewalks. The stamps depict NASA Discovery space shuttle, two scenes from Fuglesang's second space walk and the astronaut working on a solar panel with colleague Curbeam. Thank you, Mrs. Hansson.

Saturday, 24 July 2010


These are my two first Swedish lighthouse postcards sent by my friend Miriam.
The Kullen Lighthouse is an operational lighthouse located at the end of the long Kullaberg peninsula, in Höganäs, Skane County, on the south-west coast of Sweden. The present tower is the most powerful Scandinavian lighthouse, with a range of 50 km (30 mi) overlooking one of the world's most heavily traveled waters. The first lighthouse station was established here by King Frederick II in 1561. The present lighthouse was designed by the Swedish architect Magnus Dahlander in 1898: a 15 m (49 ft) round granite tower attached to a 2-story service building. The lighthouse was automated in 1979, but is one of few remaining staffed with a lighthouse keeper. The light is situated within the Kullaberg Nature Reserve, a cliff and forest habitat for a variety of rare species, criss-crossed by numerous hiking trails.
Sweden issued on January 28, 2010 a booklet with five self-adhesive stamps named Swedish Castles & Palaces presenting five famous castles from different eras. The stamp features the Tjolöholm Castle, which was built during the years 1898-1904 in the English Tudor style and was one of the last large castles to be built in Sweden.
This stamp features the Vadstena Castle , architecturally Sweden’s most renaissance castle, the construction of which started in the 1550s. The main building and its strong central tower are surrounded by a moat.


Italian Post issued on March 20, 2010 two stamps in the “Made in Italy” regular series, dedicated to Alfa Romeo on the centenary of its foundation. The stamps feature, respectively, the first car built by Alfa Romeo, the “24 HP 1910”, and the new Giulietta model, inspired by the car produced in the 1950s. They are designed to represent the journey from the past to the present, and both illustrations also feature the logo of the centenary of Alfa Romeo. The tab, placed between the two stamps, shows the Alfa Romeo crest, the logo of the centenary and the two car models, just visible in the background.
This famous and magnificent lighthouse is located near the ferry-boat terminal in Genoa, capital of the region of Liguria. La Lanterna (as it is known) is the symbol of Genoa and the arms of the city are painted on the sides of the lower stage. It is a 77 m (253 ft) two-stage square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and two galleries, one at the top of each stage. Built on a rock of 40 metres of height, the top of the Lanterna stands therefore at 117 metres above the sea level. Its light is visible from more than 50 kilometres away. The lighthouse, as we see it today, was built in 1543; it is believed that the original lighthouse (which was nearly as tall) stood on this site as early as 1128 (another source says 1161), and a lamp fueled by olive oil was installed in 1326.
The lighthouse was restored by the Provincia di Genova between 1995 and 2004. Visitors are allowed to climb 172 steps to the first gallery, which is 36 m (118 ft) above the foot of the tower and 76 m (249 ft) above the water. A museum has been built nearby in part of the Savoy fortifications that surround the tower. Here it is possible to see lamps, lenses and other lighthouse-related objects. Thank you, Carla.

Thursday, 22 July 2010


Faulkner's Island Light is Connecticut's second oldest lighthouse and is located on a small island three and one half miles offshore from Guilford, Connecticut. After many shipwrecks on the rocks around the three-acre island, the 46 ft (14 m) octagonal brownstone tower was built in 1802 by stonemason Abisha Woodward. A unique feature of this lighthouse is the stairway, which emerges from a door at the watch room level and spirals outside to the gallery. In 1856, the light was upgraded from lamps to a fourth order Fresnel lens. In March 1976, a fire broke out in the keeper's house and the tower was scorched. Two years later the light was repaired and automated, with the fourth order lens being replaced by a modern optic and in 1988 the light was converted to solar power. The nonprofit Faulkner's Light Brigade works at the restoration and preservation of Faulkner Island and the lighthouse and organizes an annual open house in September.
U.S. Postal Service issued on August 11, 2009 the commemorative 20-stamp sheet “Early TV Memories” that honors 20 television icons. The Lone Ranger was an American radio and television popular show with the famous masked character Texas Ranger and his white horse Silver. On July 23, 2009, the US Postal Service continued its popular series of lighthouses stamps issuing five commemorative Gulf Coast Lighthouses stamps. The 44–cent stamp illustrates the white cast iron Biloxi Lighthouse located in in Biloxi,Mississippi. Thank you, Katherine.


The Cap de Hague lighthouse (or Goury Lighthouse) is located at the end of the Cotentin Peninsula, on the north coast of the Manche department in the Basse-Normandie region in north-western France. Located on a small waveswept island, Gros-du-Raz, about 800 m west of Goury village. Built in 1837, the 51 m (167 ft) round granite tower mounted on a 1-story cylindrical granite base is a crucial point of reference for ships sailing through the Alderney Channel.
French Post issued on May 17, 2010 a commemorative 0, 85 € stamp celebrating the 150th anniversary of the foundation of Deauville, one of the most prestigious beach resorts in all France. The stamp explores symbolic elements of the town: the horse (Deauville is the main horse breeding region in France) and the beach umbrella and the ball evoking the holyday resort the town is. Thank you again, Jean Pierre.

Wednesday, 21 July 2010


Eluanbi Light is a lighthouse located on the Cape Eluanbi, which is also the southernmost point of Taiwan, to the south of Hengchun in Pingtung County. The 21 m (69 ft) round cast iron tower has a splendid panorama and is called "The Light of East Asia", because its intensity is the most powerful among Taiwan lighthouses. Built by the Chinese Imperial government in 1882, it suffered severe damages during the First Sino-Japanese War (1895) and during World War II damaged by Allies' bombing. Re-built, the lighthouse is now held as a historical monument admired by many tourists in the Kenting National Park. A visitor center is open to the public all year around at the 1-story keeper's house.
Taiwan Post previously released a set of stamps on “Traditional Taiwanese Residences” in 2008, and issued on February 9, 2010 a second set of four stamps on the topic. The NT$12.00 stamp features the Xiaoyun Villa in Shengang, Taichung County. First built in 1866, this compound has two courtyards and several side wings. It is a home that is romantic, cultural and artistic at the same time. Several later additions to the compound are a mixture of Japanese and western architectural styles. The villa could serve as a museum to the history of residential architecture in Taiwan all by itself. Thank you, Ivy for the card.


Mrs. Dobner sent me this nice view of the little lighthouse located near Port Macquarie.
Tacking Point Lighthouse is Australia's third oldest lighthouse and was built in 1879, on a rocky headland about 6 kilometres south of Port Macquarie, New South Wales. The 8 m (26 ft) round cement brick tower is attached to a 1-story service building and is located at a popular site for surfing and whale watching. In 1919, the lighthouse was converted to automatic acetylene operation and to electricity in 1974.
On September 8, 2008 Australia Post issued a set of four stamps named Waterfalls Australia depicting four falls found around the country. The $1.40 value presents the popular Russell Falls in Tasmania’s Mt. Field National Park, located some 60 kilometers north-west of Hobart. Nestled among trees, the waterfall has two main drops of around 15 meters each, above which are smaller rock faces. The Falls Reserve was proclaimed Tasmania’s first nature reserve in 1885.

Sunday, 11 July 2010


Kõpu lighthouse is undoubtedly the most famous tourist attraction on Hiiumaa island( the second largest island in Estonia). The 36 m (118 ft) massive square stone tower with pyramid-shaped base was constructed in 1531 and is believed to be the third oldest continually operating lighthouse in the world. The construction of this lighthouse was a remarkable feat considering the remoteness of the location and the lack of modern technology. Originally, a large fire burned atop the lighthouse and its appetite for wood resulted in the deforestation of a large part of Kõpu peninsula. . The brick top section of the tower was built in 1659. The Russian government took over operation of the tower from local authorities in 1805 and added a lantern in 1845. The lighthouse is open to the public and for a small fee you can walk to the top and enjoy a breathtaking view of the Baltic Sea as well as much of the island.
The first world fair, The Great Exhibition of 1851, was held in Hyde Park London under the auspices of Prince Albert. The Crystal Palace, in which the whole world displayed its achievements, was built for the fair. This year’s EXPO will take place from May 1 to October 31 in Shanghai in the People’s Republic of China. The stamp issued on March 11, 2010 features the Estonian pavilion in Shanghai.


Jean Pierre sent me this cover and the lighthouses FDc to my collections. Thankyou, pal.
The French Post issued on June 13, a block with four stamps celebrating the 19th FIFA World Cup held in South Africa from June 11 to July 11, 2010. The block includes a savanna landscape decorated with the flags of 32 participating countries. Two of the four stamps illustrate soccer scenes, while the other two present South African views: one of the Parliament in Pretoria (administrative capital) and the other a view of Cape Town (legislative capital).
Portugal issued on June 12, 1987 a series of four stamps called Lighthouses of Portuguese Coast: Aveiro light (built in 1893), Berlenga light (built in 1842), Cape Mondego light (built in 1922) and Cape St. Vincent light (built in 1846).
This FDC presents the four stamps issued on June 9, 1988 by South African Post Office: 16¢ Pelican Point light (built in 1932 by the government of South Africa in Namibia), 30¢ Green Point light (built in 1824), 40¢ Cape Agulhas light (built in 1848) and 50¢ Umhlanga Rocks(built in 1954).
Australia issued on March 12, 2002 the four- stamp series presenting the following lighthouses: 45¢ Macquarie light (built in 1883), 49¢ Troubridge Island light (built in 1855), 49¢ Cape Naturaliste light (built in 1903) and $1.50 Cape Bruny light (built in 1838).

Monday, 5 July 2010


My Brazilian friend Daniel spending vacation in Australia and New Zealand sent me this Australian postcard from Auckland. The Kiama Lighthouse was established on January 1st, 1887 in Kiama, New South Wales, Australian east coast. Situated on the round apex of Blowhole Point, the 15 m (51 ft) round cylindrical concrete-clad brick tower stands from the sea level to the light at a height of 224 ft. The principal Keeper's House was destroyed by vandals in the 1920s. The 1-story assistant Keeper's House, used for many years as a residence for harbor pilots, is now a museum and visitor centre.
On July1st, 2009 New Zealand Post produced a set of six self adhesive Scenic Definitive stamps, covering some of New Zealand’s favorite scenic locations. The $1.80 stamp depicts a view of Russell’s port. The historic township of Russell (once known as Kororareka) was New Zealand’s first permanent European settlement and sea port. It was also the country’s first capital, but today it’s a Bay of Islands holiday town, with an abundance of shops, restaurants and bars.

Sunday, 4 July 2010


The Stoer Head Lighthouse stands on a rocky promontory surrounded on two sides by cliffs near the westernmost point of the Stoer Peninsula, in the Highlands, Scotland. This is a remote, wild and lonely spot and over the centuries this area became the graveyard of many ships. The lighthouse was built in 1870 by David and Thomas Stevenson, members of the Stevenson dynasty who as successive generations of chief engineers of the Northern Lighthouse Board were responsible for building most of Scotland's lighthouses. The 14 m (56 ft) round cylindrical stone tower is attached to a 2-story keeper's house and was automated in 1978. The keepers' accommodation is today rented out as two holiday apartments.
On May 13th, 2010 Royal Mail issued a set of twelve stamps called “Britain Alone “dedicated to all British people who stood proud and defiant against the Axis powers in the dark days of 1940. The 67p stamp is a tribute to the Air Raid Wardens: a volunteer responsible for air raid safety sets the ‘black out clock’ ready for ‘Lights Out’. Air raid wardens or air-raid wardens had the task of patrolling the streets during blackout, to ensure that no light was visible. Other duties included helping to police areas suffering bomb damage and helping the householders. ARP wardens were trained in fire-fighting and first aid, and could keep an emergency situation under control until official help arrived.


Heceta Head Light is a lighthouse located on the Oregon Coast 13 miles (21 km) north of Florence, Oregon, United States. Surely one of the most dramatically beautiful light stations of the world, high above the Pacific and surrounded by the Siuslaw National Forest, Heceta was first lit on May 30, 1894. The 56 ft (17 m) stucco-clad brick tower attached to workroom shines a beam visible for 21 miles (34 km), making it the strongest light on the Oregon Coast. The original Chance Brothers 1st order Fresnel lens is still in use, even after repairs in 2001 and 2009 that shut down the lighthouse. The original 2-story Queen Anne-style wood keeper's house, known as Heceta House, is now used as a bed and breakfast inn. Thank you, Traci!
Katharine Hepburn, one of America’s most fascinating and awarded film stars, is remembered by US Postal Service on a 44–cent commemorative stamp issued on May 12, 2010. Hepburn holds the record for the most Best Actress Oscar wins with four, from 12 nominations.
On May 27, 2010, US issued a 44-cent commemorative stamp honoring Kate Smith, the celebrated singer and entertainer, best known for her rendition of Irving Berlin's "God Bless America".
The definitive stamp “American Clock” features an artistic rendering of the dial, or face, of a banjo clock. Constructed of brass and steel in 1805, the banjo clock depicted on the stamp has a painted iron dial and a mahogany case crowned by a brass eagle.

Saturday, 3 July 2010


My friend Hrvoje sent me this colorful cover and a svjetionik (lighthouse in Croatian) postcard. The Croatian Post launched in September 2008 a series of five stamps with motifs of folk costumes called “Croatian Ethnographic Heritage”. On the cover, there are four 2008 stamps representing the folk art from Sunja (0.10), Bistra (0.20), Bizovak (0.50) and Ravni Kotari regions (1.00). On March 15, 2010, Croatian Posted released other four stamps from the same ethnographic series.
The stamp on the envelope’s right corner is part of a set of three stamps called “Croatian Flora – Fruits” and presents the Woodland Strawberry (Fragaria vesca L.), a tasteful fruit that grows in temperate zones of north hemisphere.

Porer Lighthouse is situated on an islet in the Adriatic Sea, about a nautical mile southwest of the southern cape of Istria, Croatia. Porer is actually a round-shaped rock, in the middle of which there is a 31m (102 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower, centered on a 1-story keeper's house. The light was built in 1833 and is still active nowadays. It is possible to rent two four-bed apartments in the keeper’s house for holidays on Porer.

Friday, 2 July 2010


Aruba is an island located in the southern Caribbean Sea only 27 km (17 mi) from the coast of Venezuela. The island is 32 km (20 mi) long and has a population of about 110,000. Aruba has been a Dutch colony since 1636. In 1845 it was joined with the other Dutch islands of the West Indies to form the Netherlands Antilles. It left that federation in 1986 and has been a separate Dutch territory since then.

Aruba Post issued on January 4th, 2009 two stamps, celebrating the bicentenary of Louis Braille, the French who invented the Braille system, a method that is widely used by blind people to read and write. The 200c stamp shows Louis Braille and the 215c stamp a hand holding a mobility cane.
The California Lighthouse is located on the northwest tip of Aruba, perched on a high seaside elevation with a perfect view of the island's western coastline. Built in 1916 by a French architect, the 30 m (98 ft) unpainted stone tower was named for the British steamship California, which wrecked nearby on Sept 23, 1891. The 1-story keeper's house has been greatly expanded into a popular Italian restaurant named La Trattoria el Faro Blanco.