The New Haven Lighthouse is located in Lighthouse Point Park on the east side of the entrance to New Haven harbor, Connecticut. Built in 1847 by Marcus Bassett, the 70 ft (21 m) octagonal brownstone tower guided many ships into the harbor, until 1877 when a more strategic light was built near the breakwater. Painted white, the tower which has a circular staircase with 74 steps guiding the way to the lantern was restored in 1986. The 2-1/2 story red brick keeper's house was originally attached to the lighthouse by a wooden passage way. The keeper's house, currently leased as a residence, is in poor condition.
On July 23, 2009, the US Postal Service continued its popular series of lighthouses stamps issuing five commemorative stamps. Two 44–cent stamps from the Gulf Coast Lighthouses series illustrate this card: Sand Island, near the entrance to Mobile Bay in Mobile, Alabama and Fort Jefferson (also known as Garden Key Lighthouse), 50 miles west of Key West, Florida. The definitive stamp “American Clock” features an artistic rendering of the dial, or face, of a banjo clock. Constructed of brass and steel in 1805, the banjo clock depicted on the stamp has a painted iron dial and a mahogany case crowned by a brass eagle. Thank you, Katherine.