Sunday, 6 June 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM GREECE

Patras is located at the Western part of Greece’s mainland on the Northwestern coast of Peloponnesus. The original lighthouse of Patra, built in 1858, was located at the end of the pier at the foot of Agios Nikolaos Street. The lighthouse was demolished in 1972 during the dictatorship , a tragic loss of a valuable and valued civic landmark. A replica of the city's emblematic old lighthouse was constructed in 1999 using the original stones as a part of a coastline beautification project. The 13 m (43 ft) round cylindrical stone tower rises from a 1-story stone keeper's house and now sits in a newly developed area surrounded by a recreation space, a cafe and a restaurant overlooking the city's port.

Hellenic Post issued on October 20, 2009 a set of five stamps titled ''Fragments of Greek Mythology and Folk Tradition''. The 0.01 € stamp depict Theseus against the Minotaur. According to the Cretan tales Theseus overpowered the Minotaur with his strength and used his sword to stab the beast in the throat. The 0.70 € stamp features Talos, a gigantic man of bronze and the Dioscuri, the twin star-crowned gods of horsemanship. Thank you, Sophie for the nice card

No comments: