Sunday, 2 May 2010

LIGHTHOUSE POSTCARD FROM ITALY

Cape Palascìa, commonly known as Capo d'Otranto, is Italy's most easterly point. It is situated about 5 km (3 mi) southeast of Otranto, in the Province of Lecce. The Capo d’Otranto lighthouse was built in 1867 and is inactive since the 1970s. The 32 m (105 ft) round stone tower rises from a 2-story keeper's house and is often visited by tourists, especially at New Year, since it stands at the point where the dawn of the New Year may first be seen in Italy. According to nautical conventions, Capo d'Otranto marks the point where the Ionian Sea and the Adriatic Sea meet. The lighthouse of Otranto, after a restoration of the main building, was reopened on December 19, 2008 and hosts the Centre on Environment and Health of the Mediterranean ecosystems (ObsEco) and a multimedia museum of the sea.

On July 7th, 2008 the Italian Post issued two commemorative stamps dedicated to the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The 0.85 € value depicts a dish surrounded by two different frames, some figures of athletes and at the center of the disc are played the five Olympic rings. On the left side, some athletes who remember the figures depicted on Greek pottery, while on the right side, some figures of Eastern athletes.

No comments: