Saturday, 27 September 2008

COVER FROM FRANCE


Thank you Eric for this nice cover presenting lighthouses from France. Cap Fréhel is a peninsula in Côtes-d'Armor, in northern Brittany, which extends off the Côte d'Émeraude into the Golfe de Saint-Malo. No towns or villages are situated on the peninsula however two lighthouses, one from the 17th century and the other one from 1950, are located at the tip of it. The Cap is located 8.5 km from the town centre of Fréhel. The white lighthouse and Ar Men, the last one before the New World, is located on the west side of the Island of Sein, coast of Brittany, and guide the ships along this maritime route, where reefs and violent currents once caused so many shipwrecks. It was built in 1867 but actually it was only finished in 1881. Port Camargue is situated 20km away from Montpellier and 40 km from Nîmes. There is located the Espiguette Lighthouse near the fishing port of Le Grau-du-Roi.

No comments: